• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Factory radio kept cutting out so I put a new stereo in...still cutting out

zachis4wheeling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
drof
Transmission
Automatic
Like the title says, I've been having some real frustrations with the stereo in my truck.

Trucks an 87. Ever since I got the truck, the factory radio has never been really working right. It would be working fine for a while, and even though it sucks, at least I had tunes. I'd preset all my stations, and figure out all my audio preferences. Drive around and the truck would be fine. And out of nowhere, the radio would cut out, and not work. Nothing on AM or on FM. I'd shut the truck off and sometimes when I fired her back up, the stereo would work, sometimes it wouldn't. Sometimes it would just stay screwed up. Its almost like someone removed the power from the unit all together. Eventually it would "self correct" and I'd have tunes again, but none of my presets saved.

So last week, I put new speakers in the doors to replace the 6x9s someone had installed from before. I pulled the dash speakers and need to find some replacements. I also installed a new Kenwood CD player with aux, usb hookups and Bluetooth capabilities. I got the wiring harness adaptor kit and got it installed. Turn the key on and the thing sounds 100,000,000 times better. Speakers are loud and sound excellent. So I drive around for a bit and no problems.

Until 3 or 4 days later. I fire the truck up. Stereos sounding good as a mother.....I pull the parking brake release lever and stereo cuts out altogether. No lights, nothing. Then it turns back on, but across the screen, it reads "miswire problem. Shut off. Turn back on"........

And we're back to square one. Shut the truck off, pull the key out. Sometimes it resets, sometimes it doesn't. So obviously it wasn't the old radio.

Any ideas? Anyone had this same sort of shit happen and can give me some pointers?

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
Sounds like you need to run new power and ground wires.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is the oldest diagram I saw here it is from a 1990 Ranger: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/pdf_documents/90_Ranger-BroncoII_base_radio.pdf

There are two power wires and two ground wires.

One power wire is "hot" all the time, this keeps the clock and pre-sets correct, but won't drain the battery much.
Second power wire is only hot when key is on, radio works

If e-brake pedal caused power outage then I would suspect fuse panel issue, it and it's wiring is just above there.

Loose or intermittent Ground is the same as loose or intermittent 12volts, power must flow from + to - for a device to work, disconnecting either will have the same symptom.

Power actually flows from - to +, but by the time "they" learned that it was just easier to leave the school books the way they were, lol
And in the scheme of things it doesn't really matter :)

Last edited:

zachis4wheeling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
drof
Transmission
Automatic
Kind of a long time since I logged on, but I ended up figuring out the problem. The Speaker wires were being pinched whenever I released the parking brake lever and I guess grounded out and cut power to the stereo somehow. Re-routed them. Problem solved.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good working finding that :icon_thumby:

Thanks for posting the fix

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
thats why my wires hang out all over where i can see them:D

that and with all of the cladding removed its easier to put out the fires:icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals