• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Please help 2.9 valve adjustment

dragster557

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I bought an '89 bronco II with 10,000 miles on engine.I decided to adust valves and i am in a mess.Bumped engine over till both valves closed.Then loosened valves till they had play up and down.Took lash out and have triedfrom 1 1/2 turns back to 3/4 turns and motor runs like valves are too tight.Was fnie before i meesed with them except for a little tick.Please help.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Where is AllanD or Psycopete when you need them...

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
for future reference...dont adjust the valves on a 2.9, the hydrulic lifters are, supposed to be anyway, self adjusting.

The valve tap is do to a poor oil flow design, and it isnt fixable by simply adjusting the valves.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
properly torque the rocker arms back down. you are asking for disaster if you leave them loosened

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
no problem, yeah i considered that when i had my bronco II, but after research i found that adjusting them does nothing for the valve tap, unless of course by chance you bought one that had valves that were already messed with and out of adjustment.

If your tap isnt too bad, unless you really want to rebuild an engine with 10,000 miles, just dont worry about it. Thats what i did after i realized there was no "cheap" fix for the tap itself, and since my bronco ran fine, i just accepted the tap as a sound that was normal for the engine lol. And for the whole time i had it, it never got any worse or better. It just stayed the same, ticking along, even after a good day of red lining every gear hahah

brianballard1983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
for future reference...dont adjust the valves on a 2.9, the hydrulic lifters are, supposed to be anyway, self adjusting.

The valve tap is do to a poor oil flow design, and it isnt fixable by simply adjusting the valves.
how do you fix the oil flow? i been told there are now better cam bearings available

WTF

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'06
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Life is too short for cheap beer.
Run some thicker synthetic oil- that'll quiet it down a bit.

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
after its been running for 5 min! LOL my truck ran 15w40 when it got to -40C here. lets just say there were some strange sounds coming from that engine!

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Man, I'd get that oil out of there quick. I run Rotella synthetic 5W-40 summer and winter, and I wouldn't put anything higher than 5W in a 2.9. That's just asking for problems, and there is nothing worse for the lifters since it will make it harder to push oil on start up on an already poor design.

sjr53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Add an extra quart of oil to quiet the lifter noise. That is how I quieted my 88 which I barely use since I like the automatic in my 86 much more than the 5 spd in the 88.

mihulka3

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
In process of setting up heads on my rebuilt 2.9. these engines make all kinds of funny noises. Poor design seems to be the norm in these tyoe of conversations. Ford made some good stuff and then? I debated on getting a 302 for my Ranger but did not want to turn a money pit into something worse.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I wouldn't put anything higher than 5W in a 2.9. That's just asking for problems
You do know that Ford STILL says that for most temps and conditions 10-30 is the appropriate oil for a 2.9.

Not saying that a 5W isn't ok, just saying that 10 is.

Last edited:

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
To help oil flow look at the tch pages for the free floating rockers, The pedastals can have the hole opened and holes in the shaft can be chamfered. Done this on a few and it helps

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You do know that Ford STILL says that for most temps and conditions 10-30 is the appropriate oil for a 2.9.

Not saying that a 5W isn't ok, just saying that 10 is.
Actually, Ford always recommended 5W-30 for these engines, and allowed 10W-30 for warm weather driving.

That is not to say that it is any where near optimum.

Use what you want in your truck, but if you knew anything about engine wear and oiling, you'd use the lowest "W" available in the weight recommended.

Once it is at operating temp, it's all the same, but on cold starts it makes a difference.

90% of engine wear occurs at start up, and the higher the vis at start up, the longer it takes to protect the parts.

Simple common sense.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals