• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Explorer Sport - Good Buy?

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
read this:

I know its wordy, but it sounds like a possibility...

" No reverse
The 5R55E is basicaly an upgraded version of the A4LD. Many of the parts are identical. You could have snapped the reverse band or as some people have reported here there have been some problems with the seal and gasket on this 5R55E too. Certainly it would be worthwhile to investigate this first. Dropping the pan to see if there are any metal particles would be the first step and at that time unbolt thereverse servo to inspect the seal and gasket. There is also another reverse clutch and some other one way clutches involved in reverse. These involve removal of the transmission. The following is my repost of the procedure.

A4LD LOW/REVERSE SERVO IMPROVEMENT

Many A4LD, 4R44E, and 4R55E transmissions have a problem with no or delayed reverse engagement, reverse shudder/chatter, and/or no engine braking in manual low (1). Some symptoms are not very obvious but can lead to the early failure of thereverse band. Some have reported that this gets rid of the "clunk" when you go into reverse. This is the result of the O-ring on the Low-Reverse Servo developing a heat set and failing to make a complete seal. The low/reverse servo has the largest surface area in the transmission, except for the Torque converter clutch, is a double wrap design and located at he output end of the transmission . These all imply that it sees a lot of torque and could be one of the first components to fail from age. Every A4LD should probably have these O-rings replaced. My 92transmission was rebuilt in 96 and it did not get this improved seal at that time. There is an updated "double lip" style seal made out of a polyacyrlic rubber instead of the nitrile rubber compound O-ring.. This solution was first borrowed from the C6transmission and is now included as part of the O-ring kit from the better suppliers.

WARNING: This is a blind procedure and there is no practical way of knowing if the reverse band is seated properly. Unlike single bands, the reverse/low band is a double wrap band and this limits major movement. Frictional and. viscous forces will tend to keep the band where it is. The servo rod is rounded at the end and fits into a well on the band as well as the two housing pins. This serves to self align the band. Obviously for manufacturing purposes, when thetransmission is stood vertically on the output end, movement of the band to the rear is restricted and is in position to accept the servo rod. Forward movement of the band, however, is not restricted. Rotation of the output shaft, large vibrations and thetransmission pointing down toward the front could cause the band to move forward. The ATSG A4LD manual lists the Low/Reverse Servo as a separate repair procedure on page 47 that can be performed without removal of the transmission. This is not just something I made up. Like any transmission procedure, flushing, pump out, or new fluid has the potential to cause new problems. If you are not currently experiencing delayed reverse or loss of low braking, the risk/benefit of this procedure may not be appropriate. Every effort was made to insure this information is accurate with a transmission in a vehicle and by viewing operation of a disassembled transmission on a stand. This should not be considered professional advice and unknown manufacturing changes could cause an unforseen problem.

I used the overhaul kit from bulkparts.com for the 85-95 A4LD #23031 which is approximately $27. This is the Toledo Trans-Kit from SPX/FILTRAN. The two O-rings that you will need are packaged separately in the kit and will be easy to find. Replacement is no more difficult than changing the filter.

This technical bulletin can be viewed on www.atcdg.com by clicking on tech and looking for A4LD.

Another improvement is the American made glass fiber MicroFelt filter from SPX/FILTRAN.. This is also the same filter that is used in the 5R55E (#23921 for 4WD). If you have shopped for filters previously, you will remember that the 2WD versions got the filter element and the 4WD versions got just a metal screen. Evidently 4WD vehicles needed a higher flow for better cooling/shifting. The new filter is physically much larger than the old filter. There is even more filter area because the filter is folded over and welded inside to create twice the surface area. Flow restriction is no longer a problem with this filter. Be sure you order the correct long or short tube version depending on your pan design. This filter is only about $10 from www.bulkparts.com and comes with a new bolt and spacer. THE FILTER MUST BE SEATED PROPERLY OR THE TRANSMISSION WILL SUCK IN AIR. If the filter is ordered separately, it does not come with replacement O-rings or a pan gasket. These seals are included in the overhaul kit. SPX/FILTRAN .technical details can be viewed on www.bryco.com. SPX , an OEM supplier, has the patent on this filter design #D422600 and many others.

Working on a transmission only seems a like a formidable task. Replacement of these items is easy for anyone to do without removal of the transmission. I have removed and installed the reverse servo several times and there is nothing tricky about it. The center shaft eases the alignment of the piston. The spring only requires moderate effort to compress. The only item to pay attention to is the cover which has a tilted mounting surface and mounts only in one direction. Mark the rear section of the cover before removal. Before installation, the walls on the valve body should be lightly cleaned with a crocus cloth. Remove any sediment from the housing, piston and cover with brake cleaner prior to installation of the new O-rings. Lubricate parts with transmission fluid before installation.

While the pan and filter are off, the torque on the valve body bolts should be checked. When I changed the filter on my 97 5R55E, I found all the valve body bolts were all loose. This could be the problem with many transmissions as they age. Be sure to use the correct torque. Too much is as bad as too little and will cause the plate to warp. Seven foot-pounds is not much of a twist. Transtec has a optional double thick valve body gasket kit to correct more difficult sealingproblems.

The steps are as follows:
1. Place vehicle in PARK and leave it in that position for the entire procedure.
2. Make sure that after the vehicle has been jacked up that the front of the vehicle is higher than the rear.
3. Remove pan
4. Remove transmission filter
5. Mark the back edge of the reverse servo cover. Remove four retaining screws on the servo cover. Hold the cover as the screws are removed. The spring between the piston and the valve body will push the piston and cover down. Note the cover surface is slanted and note the position.
6. Inspect for excessive wear. Lightly clean surfaces with a crocus cloth and install the two new O-rings. Lubricate piston withtransmission fluid.
7. Replace ( new gasket if available), cover, piston and spring. Torque bolts to specification.
8. Replace filter, old O-rings may need to be transferred from old filter
9. Replace pan gasket and install pan.
10. Fill with 3 quarts of fluid. Start engine and cycle from forward to reverse. Recheck fluid levels when warm.

TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS:
Oil Pan to Case 8-10 Ft-Lbs
Reverse Servo to Case 80-115 Inch-Lbs, 6.7-9.6 Ft-Lbs
Main Control (valve body) to Case 71-97 Inch-Lbs, 5.9 -8.0 Ft-Lbs

REFERENCES:
SPX/FILTRAN, Technical Bulletin No. 124,
C3, A4LD, 4R44E, 4R55E Delayed Reverse Engagement

ATSG, Ford A4LD Techtran Manual Pages 22, 23, 24, 31, 36, 47, 62, 111

www.atcdg.com (View tech bulletins, A4LD
www.bulkparts.com"

REF:
(Operahouse-http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61579&highlight=4r44e+installation, 10-28-2002)

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
and this:
REAL GOOD INFO HERE!!!
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66575&highlight=4r44e+installation

I dunno, I think after reading all of this I could probably do this. I do fix production copiers (Some that cost a half million dollars) all day...I'm thinking that my last machine I had in a million little pieces and still got to run like a top , a 44r4e transmission might be a slice of pie:icon_cheers:

This Thread
needs to be seated on a golden pedestal, wrapped in the finest linen, fed grapes from Florence Italy and given servicing at its every beckoning call. The only thing that would make this read better would be PICS and if I were being serviced simultaneously

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals