• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger LS-Swap Build

lsxRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd keep the headers. An Ls engine is not that far off compared to bbc. It wouldn't take much to convert them. Too bad about the ls engine though. My 4cyl 5speed is coming out tomorrow and in goes my L33 & Th350. I modded my ls3 exhaust manifolds to tuck in tighter than the hooker's. They were super easy to weld with a mig.

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So just a little update, or really about a 700lb update.. The 454 chevy fits pretty well with the firewall modification. I did actually fit with the stock firewall further forward than the LS but sat too far forward to help with the rear weight distribution issue so I pushed it back about 4 inches past where the LS bellhousing was. I had some aluminum firewall panels left over from another project so I got pretty lucky there and made it in one piece. The big block also cleared the steering shaft after being offset to the passenger side only about 1/2". I have removed every engine bay wire except the light pigtails and took out anything else that isn't needed. No inner fenders (plastic ones) vacuum lines, ecm, harness, fuse box and pulled the heater core and box, everything! Engine bay looks pretty big without all of this extra stuff. Not going to be able to reuse the LS headers with the new engine position so far back, too much work over building a new set with bigger primaries. Already have the transmission crossmember remade and mounted. Gonna cut the driveshaft down tonight and TIG it back together. I have a ready to go 454 to take the place of the core motor in the picture once everything else is buttoned up. Hopefully it will make it to the track before they shut down for the year!
:3gears:

Attachments

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dam that things gonna fly. Looking good man.

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Now that's cool.

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That's looking really good! Wish I had the wider frame rails, would have made the LS swap more streetable. I know with mine the intake tube clearance between the tensioner and stock radiator was tight. Scarred up my tube a little lol. Cant tell where your lower port on the radiator is but I had to cut and tig my t-stat housing in a different spot to get a hose to reach all the way across the bottom.

As far as mine goes, stock height valve covers is all that will fit right now. Otherwise I will have to relocate the throttle cable hole on the firewall and notch out another section. For tires I am looking for some 15x10 welds with 10.5 slicks but need to check the backspacing when I get the bed back on.

Update on the truck: The driveshaft is back together and installed. The new camshaft is in the running motor which should be going in this weekend. The headers are coming together as well. Have all the pipes tacked and some of the joints tigged fully. Need a couple more hours to finish welding these. Also I have been challenged by a few friends to have it ready by next saturday (9/27) to race at Grudge Wars in london ky. I leave no challenge unanswered so me and a buddy are busting ass and spending money like hell to get it ready. Lots of work still left to do but hopefully I will have the remaining parts tonight and out running test and tune next Friday (9/26). I probably wont have the time to swap in the 8.8 with 4.10's and a t-lock but I'm gonna weld the stock 7.5 with open 3.73's and hope I don't get a real hard hook lol.

:icon_welder:

Last edited:

lsxRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I pushed the radiator forward 2" so the electric fan would fit with truck accessories. For the tstat housing I used a 3.8 mustang which turns it 45 degrees so lower hose would hook up. Both inlet and outlet on the rad are passenger side. I fired mine for the first time the other day. Waiting on funds for the PCM flash, Driveshaft, and Exhaust because work has been slow.

Can't wait to see the pics of the BBC install finished. I think you might be OK just leaving on the foot brake and rolling into it as long as your driveline angle is correct.

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Did not know a 3.8 housing would fit, great info! I know the driveshaft is a tough issue for any swap if you are like me and don't wanna shell out the big money for a custom job.

I do have a couple pics of the headers and intake mocked up from the other day. More has been done since. Also got my switch panel and gauges in where the radio and heater controls used to be. Looking good to be fired up on the race motor this weekend. :icon_thumby: And sorry for the crappy pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

lsxRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Are you going to have to trim the hood bracing?

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Don't believe I will, haven't test fitted the 850 holley on it yet but it looks like it will have plenty on top.

lsxRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I used that intake on my 77 Z28 w/454 that I had and ended up with a hole in the hood. Had to buy cowl hood to fit properly. On a Ranger it will be close I'd bet.

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I could always throw a big pro-stock hood scoop on it if it hits lol. Got a lot of work planned for tomorrow from assembling the top end of the race motor, shift kit in the transmission and as it turns out finding a new radiator. I was attempting to use the one out of the big block donor truck but the narrow frame rails got me again. Too wide to drop between and too tall to sit on top. Still hoping to get it fired late tomorrow without it. Some little odds and end to get sorted early next week and some street time about Wednesday or so.

lsxRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought my Aluminum radiator from Speedway Motors. Its a 22 x 19 2 core dual pass for 125.00 shipped. A 24" would fit but you will have to mod the core support more. I only had to cut the top out. If this is a race truck only that size may work for you, But if you drive on the street with that big motor you'll want a bigger one.

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I looked at the one too, it said $125 plus $25 to ship. Summit offers one at that price (if you include the shipping) and I need to make one more order anyways because I forgot the battery relocation on the last order and their delivery times are just awesome.

Got the motor assembled today. The transmission I was using turned out to be a lockup style TH350 which my shift kit wouldn't fit in but luckily I had another transmission hid away and got the shift kit in it. Hope to get the motor and transmission installed early tomorrow morning. Here's my setup for next weekend:

stock bottom end 454
oval port heads, been ported huge, milled, bigger valves, comp springs
summit k1303 cam
victor jr intake
850dp Holley
2" primary fenderwell headers
TH350
3800 stall converter
transgo competition shift kit
welded 3.73 gear 7.5 (4.10 t-lock 8.8 soon)
leaving off foot brake for now

lsxRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Since you are leaving easy I'd guess 12.2-11.7 e.t. Low 11's if you leave a little aggressive with maybe 1.6ish 60 foot.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals