• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

04 Ranger 4.0 Harmonic balancer questions.....

bword

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Noticed on my dads ranger that his harmonic balancer had two places to a put belt...wait a second :eek:. I couldnt believe it would separate and walk out that far apart from the damper and actually belt pulley. Anyways im looking to do this today or tomorrow. Wanted to ask you guys a few quick questions..

-I have the dorman replacement harmonic balancer
-New TTY bolt from Ford
-Longer bolts for the puller in case the built in ones in the kit don't work

Im assuming im gonna have to unbolt the fan and fan shroud. I know that I need to use the puller on the old bolt while its still bolted in with a few threads out. Putting it back on is where im a lil curious about.

So I understand you should lube the new balancer with motor oil and also make sure the key is in place. As far as installing it I see Autozone has a OEM/Harmonic balancer installer Should I use this or can I get away with beating it on with a hammer and socket? I know I should never ever use the bolt to walk it in.

And then when and if im able to get the balancer in
Stage 1: Tighten the bolt to 45 Nm (33 lb-ft)
Stage 2: Tighten the bolt an additional 85 degrees.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals