• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 Engine RPM Sensor

e21pilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
One of my 1992 4.0L Rangers seems to have an issue with rpm. When in neutral. if I rev the engine to 3000 rpm and let my foot off the gas quickly, I notice the rpm does not smoothly go down to idle. Instead it drops down in steps kind of holding its rpm for a little bit before dropping some more until it gets to idle.

I'm guessing this is a problem with the control system as the engine is clean and tuned and generally runs very well.

Is there some rpm sensor that my be operating a little out of tolerance given its age? Just wondering what could cause this type of problem?

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
idle air control maybe. i know ive had a few problems with this. you could unplug it and see what it does. usually if they die its working.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The only RPM sensor on the '92 4.0l is the CKP(crank position) sensor, and if it has a problem engine won't run.

Yes, reads like dirty IAC valve, or throttle plate spring is too loose, could even be throttle cable sticking a bit or cruise control cable, if so equipped.

I doubt the TPS(throttle position sensor) would cause that, but a simple test would be to manually move the throttle slowly to raise RPMs and see if RPMs jump a bit.
TPS sends Computer(EEC-IV) 1volt when throttle is closed and the 4.5volts when throttle is open all the way, so as throttle opens voltage increases, this is how the computer knows to increase fuel quickly, before MAF or O2 sensors tell it to, kinda like the accelerator pump worked on a carb engine.
If voltage jumps around RPMs will as well.

EEC-V(1995 and up) kept RPMs high and slowly reduced them for shifting and emissions, don't think EEC-IV does that, at least never seen it on my '94

Last edited:

e21pilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Problem Solved

After doing numerous things to resolve the RPM issues I had, I simply replaced the throttle body with a new OEM one and every RPM issue I had was resolved. RPM is now stable and predicable. It almost seems like I have a new engine these days. Wish I would have replaced this part first!

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ermergerd! Thanks for posting your resolution of the issue. You seriously just helped someone who searched your issue with Google! :)

You, Sir, are an internebz hero. I loathe people that post 'can you help me?' and never follow up. This is a genuine 'Thank you!'.

Rep for you, if you care about such silliness.

OIG's do. We're a silly lot. lol

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals