• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hagan's '86 Ranger build!

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok I got my tank mounted. I used a '84 Bronco 2 tank. It is a carbed tank so it will have just a single pickup and no return. I mounted it behind the rear axle where it would go in a b2.

I made a crossmember.for the front out of some square tube I had laying around. I bolted it to the frame where the front of the tank will sit. I then drilled 2 hole holes and welded 2 long bolts through the holes. I fit the tank again and welded a piece of angle iron on the back of the crossmember so the lip of the tank hits it and holds it down

I had to rebend the tank straps (I got them from a b2) and move the strap mounts on my frame.

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
That's a Purdy tank!

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah it sure is!

Anyway, I'm using a 302 now. The 351w I had was in bad shape and needed a rebuild

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
That's a Purdy motor! I've got a lead on another 351 that I'm going to build while I enjoy the rather tired one I put in. Your rig is looking good! Keep up the good work.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd love to have a built 351w! I now have 3 302 blocks and a 351w lol

If I built a 351w I'd stroke it to a 408. But building an engine wasn't in the cards for me right now. I needed something that ran good.

Last night I got it fired up! Probably for about 10 seconds at 11:00pm lol. My neighbors just had a baby a couple days ago and I felt like such a dick with open headers. That's why I barely ran it. It took about 6 mins from the time we were ready to crank to running. On a carb I've never used, a carb I just rebuilt, a distributor I've never used, and an engine I've never heard run. Not too bad!

I've got A LOT more work to do. I'll update as much as I can.

merch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
Nice work on the tank,i did the same tamk swap but I used a skid plate from the bii on top of the frame and straps on bottom to squeeze the tank and hold it on place. I also use a 351w.......not an easy thing to fit lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

merch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
Whered you get transfercase mount? It would be prfect for my 205

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm actually running a 302 now. But a 351w is a little tougher to fit.

I got the 205 mount from behemoth drivetrain. Its the same place I got my doubler (strongbox) from. It seems well built and it was easy to modify to my needs. It replaces the output shaft seal and retainer thing and bolts back in place.

I can get more pics if you want?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had to move my radiator into the core support because the upper radiator hose pointed into the alternator pulley. It had about 3/4" clearance. It wasn't going to work.

I cut out this much. I rewelded the captive nuts and plates back to the core support so the radiator would mount to the core support like how the factory did.

Rewelded the pieces back for a better look

Radiator tucked in.

Clearance...

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got the new sending unit in my tank and the lines plumbed. I got my fuel pump mounted and bed back on.

I am using the sending unit out of an '84 Bronco II. Its new though. I ran hard lines along the frame rail. Its 3/8" brake line and I'm using fuel injection hose. Its supposed to withstand todays fuels better.

I also built a new track bar mount. I lowered it and moved it back for better clearance.

Last edited:

simonbrld

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Nice 86, that's something I don't see everyday. Good to see your updating.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got a little more work done. I got my zf5 clutch working and I got my radiator and fan installed.

My factory clutch hydraulic was ruined so I needed a new one. I removed it by pressing out the roll pin at the base of the clutch master cylinder. I was going to use the original line off a '94 F150 (I parted one out but kept that) but the fitting was different.

I made a trip to the junk yard and couldn't find the line that matched mine. I got a line off a '88 Ranger. Its short and has the right bends. In order to make it fit my clutch master cylinder I decided to just buy the clutch master cylinder for an '88 Ranger. It was a simple bolt on deal.

Original line on top with a smooth end. The new line on bottom with an angled end

A look at the original Ranger line connected to the zf5

New clutch master cylinder

New vs old

Here is my radiator and fan setup. Radiator is from a first gen explorer. Fan came off a 90's Jag with a v10. Pulled it out of the junk yard for $10. It is a pusher fan. Mounted with scrap aluminum to the factory mounting holes on the fan.

Last edited:

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Worked on the Ranger a little more. Decided to pull the 302 to build a new engine cross member. Spent hours looking at it. Im not very happy with it but it will work for now. Basically I had to trim it because my 302 is so far forward because of my zf5.

It's the stock crossmember with 3/8" plate welded on the inside.

Sitting tall and pretty!

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
So that's as far back as the zf5 will go? Will you be able to get the upper bellhousing bolts? I don't remember but did you clearance your tranny tunnel and fire wall?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had to beat the body bond lip back on the tunnel. I only cut the upper section out of the tunnel and left the firewall alone. I also had to cut these "ears" off the sides of the trans. I can use a ratchet and socket to get the upper two bolts out from the engine bay.

A body lift would have helped a lot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals