• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ranger both heads shot

coopab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
I've just been informed that both of the heads from my 99 Ranger 4.0 are toast. I've already spent more than I had hoped for to do a 'band-aid' type repair and now it looks like I'm several hundred dollars from finishing the application of the band-aid.
If the heads have multiple cracks is there any way to "restore" them? If not, what's the alternative? My rebuilder guy tells me get two replacement castings and he can put them back together using the existing springs, valves, etc.
What's a good source for replacement head castings. 98TM-AD if I read the article in the rebuilding section correctly.
coopab

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Get 98tm heads at the junkyard if you're on a budget, they're $40 a piece at my local jy, I've had good luck with them.
Springs and valves still in it

coopab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm leaning towards getting two rebuilt heads from either RockAuto or a local warehouse depending upon the comparable prices. "Dave55" said the RockAuto price seemed pretty good but is going to the warehouse in Worcester for something else and while there he'll check prices. One way or the other I'm looking forward to getting this thing done.
kb

coopab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Odessa~Clearwater??

I did a little checkup on this outfit "Odessa Cylinder Heads" on eBay, but also know as Clearwater Cylinder Heads. After finding several sites with numerous complaints I definitely would not consider purchasing their heads at ANY price.

They are not BBB accredited (due to not applying for accreditation) however, their rating is "A-" Not sure what that means but I'm probably going with the local supplier even if it's a little more expensive because at least I'd be able to deal with any problems face to face.

kb

Last edited:

dsm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I did a little checkup on this outfit "Odessa Cylinder Heads" on eBay, but also know as Clearwater Cylinder Heads. After finding several sites with numerous complaints I definitely would not consider purchasing their heads at ANY price.

They are not BBB accredited (due to not applying for accreditation) however, their rating is "A-" Not sure what that means but I'm probably going with the local supplier even if it's a little more expensive because at least I'd be able to deal with any problems face to face.

kb
I actually had the same problem as the OP, both heads were completely shot. The truck runs great no problems, except the tranny went out :icon_surprised:
but I have had no problems with the engine just make sure you put everything back together properly, My upper radiator hose was loose and was shooting coolant into the injectors.
Seriously though the Heads have worked great for the 7 months i got to use them lol the truck will be running here shortly. :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals