• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Car 3.0

Dog

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a 98 ranger 3.0 5spd 2wd. Can i use a 92 3.0 out of a topaz? Why and or what mods do I need.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 3.0 is the 3.0 and long as it is the 3.0 and not the 3.0.

But the wrong 3.0 didn't exist in 92, so you are in the clear there.

You will need to swap obvious things like intake and exhaust manifolds, accessory brackets, and the water pump. Should probably just get a new water pump anyway.

When changing the 3.0 from a FWD to a RWD orientation is it highly recommended to replace the head gaskets as well, with ones for the correct current use. This is because coolant flow pattern between the two is different and there have been reports of cooked engines from incorrect flow.

Dog

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How about motor mount bosses. Are they on the Fwd engine? Were they predrilled?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's the same block for both setups. The only material difference in the long block assembly between FWD and RWD are the head gaskets.

Ranger305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
I would also take the time to replace the timing cover gasket. I think it is a minor weak spot on the trucks, major on the cars. They tend to shrink and leak. The original on my '92 truck blew out and dumped the cooolant. On a taurus, there was an exhaust/cat a couple inches away that would literally cook the gasket. Did one a while back on a taurus with 40k miles...

I have dropped both a 2001 and a 2007 3.0, both taurus engines, in my '92 truck and what was said above is spot on. Use your accessories, mounts, intake, fuel injection, electronics, etc. I also had to use my oil pan and pump (I think this is required with 2wd pre 97 trucks?).

Later blocks have some revisions that make them a it better like 92 on was roller cam, 00? and up had a better head bolt design, later models had a different piston design, etc. The one sticky wicket I know of is that the 07 engine I dropped in had knock sensors in bosses on the lower block. The older engines may not have these and this may have been a flex-fuel thing. If using an older engine in a newer truck, I would check this. Otherwise, should work fine.

dsltech83

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I read an aera article,the tempo/topaz 3.0 has a different cam and will have a serious lack of power in a truck. FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals