• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 engine swap possible fail

jchaillier

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How can I tell if an engine that was swapped in my truck is from a Taurus or a Ranger? The more I scan through some threads on engine swapping, the more I begin to see the possibility that we put a Taurus engine in. I only made it 300+/- on this engine after swapping it out before possibly blowing it up today. :(

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can't, and at 300 miles being from a Taurus wouldn't be the problem, or even 3,000 miles.

Only difference, assuming years were close, is that the Taurus has a slightly different coolant flow pattern thru the engine.
Taurus 3.0l was transverse mounted so coolant flowed in the back and out the front
Ranger coolant flows in the front to the back then to the front again and out

For this reason they used different hole patterns in the head gasket to direct the coolant flow differently.

With thermostat closed they both had basically the same flow pattern, just circulating coolant with water pump.
Only after thermostat opened was the pattern different, and not all that different

Many have put Taurus engines in Rangers and not changed head gaskets, they probably get hot spots but no over heating, and many miles logged

You may have just gotten a bad engine, used, I am assuming, is a gamble even if you have the history of an engine

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
what do you mean by "blown"?

did you pull the synchronizer and clean it? the oil passages get clogged, causes excess load on drive gear, which fails. the sync unit drives the oil pump, so when the sync unit fails you have no oil being pumped thru the engine.

oops, just read your other post. this may be too late now.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I read your other post, you should just post once, and include all info there

"RPMs increased to 3,200"...........from 3,100, or ???...........

If you have an automatic(also good to include), you may have broken the front pump on reassemble, done it myself, and the increase in RPMs may have been the pump failing and it is directly connected to the torque converter and flexplate, so engine may be fine but locked from transmission issue, long shot.

jchaillier

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The engine was running at about 2400rpm on cruise control when all of a sudden it jumped up to 3200 and then shut off. Thermostat didn't show the engine hotter than normal. Now it seems to be locked up, the engine won't even turn.

jchaillier

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes it's an automatic, but would I have been able to drive it for a couple hours before failure?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No it should not even move after assembly

Could be torque converter(TC) failed internally and now input(TC housing) is locked to Output shaft(transmission), but not even sure that could happen

Take trans out of Park and see if vehicle rolls and also see if you can turn the engine at that time

Ranger305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
As the others have said, they are the same basic engine, just different head gaskets and accessory brackets. My 92 has had a 2001 Taurus engine and now has a 2007 Taurus based engine, I just changed the headgaskets, tin, and electronics/fuel/intake and it swapped right in.

As for your issue, it almost sounds like fuel/air. I would check the maf and intake. Had a focus do something similar and found an oil change place had left the clamp holding the intake hose to the intake loose and the intake hose came off enough to cause the engine to act up and shut down when the MAF lost flow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals