• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where are bolts for AC & Pwr steering mount bracket?

paulnola

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock
I am replacing the water pump and read in the Haynes manual that I need to remove the bolt(s) holding the mounting bracket to move the whole assembly out of the way without removing either the AC compressor or the power steering pump. So I am looking but cannot find the correct bolt or bolts to take out. Can someone point them out for me?

Thanks

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mine's an 03 so if your 04 A/C unit is located on DS just under the throttle body there are 3 bolt heads right on top which appear to be what you're looking for.

Once you get the compressor off the alternator bolts are behind it and there seems to be a lower bracket bolt under the P/S pump at the rear.

Hope this helps.

paulnola

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock
Not quite it

Thanks but I do not want to remove the AC compressor if I don't have to, just reposition it. The alternator has already been removed, but I don't think you meant to say alternator since it is over on the passenger side.

I looked around again today before it got dark and still cannot determine which bolts hold the compressor bracket on.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
To reposition it you'll need to remove the bolts. The bracket bolts will probably be visible when you move the compressor.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On my 02 the bracket the AC unit sits on bolts to the head and to lower front right corner of the block, (if your facing the motor), One of the bolts in the head is blocked by the tension-er, you either have to remove the tension-er or have someone hold it out of the way while you remove the bolt in the head, the power steering pump mounts to this bracket as well but will easily lay off to the side once loose. If I recall correctly, 3 bolts in the end of the head, and either 1 or 2 in the side of the block. Too bad they did not design the bracket to allow you to replace the water pump without taking it off.

JP02XLT

paulnola

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock
AC compressor bracket bolts

Thanks for the input guys. I will take another look this afternoon. I have a new tensioner to install so I already planned on removing the old one. Hopefully the water pump will come off without any problems once I move the bracket out of the way.

Everything is pretty grimy under and behind the AC compressor bracket, so I will clean as much as I can while it is off.

paulnola

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock
So finding all three bolts to get the AC & pwr steering bracket off was a PITA, way more difficult than it should have been. That last hidden bolt was inside a recess on the front of the bracket, but so far in that I did not see it for a while. Once I was able to move the bracket about an inch, the last bolt for the water pump now had enough clearance to come all the way out. It was the bolt that is located behind where the serpentine belt tensioner bolts onto the bracket.
The new water pump went on much easier than the old one came off. Tomorrow, if it stops raining by the time I get home from work, I will install the new tensioner and belt, new fan clutch, and reinstall the alternator, radiator and heater hoses. Hopefully she will feel reinvigorated and refreshed when we get back on the road after 10 days of sitting up under the carport.

drewnelis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
result ???? help!!

I cannot for the life of me get the mounting bracket for the AC, and power steering pump. I'm changing the water pump, pulled everything, but trying to get to one bolt on the pump I realized I would need that whole piece to come off. The bolt behind the tensioner has no room to come all the way out, so I have to take the tensioner off which apparently brings the AC and power steering pump with it? The bolts from what I can tell to get this bracket off are ridiculously hard to get to. I have tried everything I can think of? Do I need a special tool because I cannot reach it well enough for a socket?

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I believe I reached the bolts on the side of engine from underneath the truck. No special tools required. Sometimes you may need to use a box end wrench or different length sockets though. I used a cargo strap to support the A/C unit and bracket to a hole in the trucks hood. The more work you do, on these trucks, the more tools you will probably purchase. Still cheaper than a garage's labor rate. You're saving money and bonding w/ your vehicle. Ain't love great!!!! Keep patient and you will get it.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
3 bolts, two studs

On my 2001 There were three bolts in the front and two studs on the side. One stud holds a bracket for the fuel line, the other stud (lower) didn't hold anything, but it may have been replaced by someone over the years.

The tensioner needs to be removed to get at the two shorter bolts as they are in recesses by the machined pad.

All have 13mm heads. Was told that you can get at the two side bolts/studs through the fender well but I didn't do it that way - nor try.

MIke713

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
on my 06 3.0l i had to remove the tensioer from the bracket to get to a hidden bolt behind it that went to the front of the head, once removed everything was a piece of cake

mudduck66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Trying to "move" this bracket as well

Not to beat an old thread to death, but I'm new to this forum (new to Rangers, and a fairly novice mechanic) but very enthusiastic. I'm trying to move this Godforsaken bracket on my truck (99 B3000 4x4) so I can put in a new heater hose elbow in the intake and there's not quite enough room for it to "spin" around because of the bracket. Anyway, my long-winded question is this: Can a Serp. tensioner be reused? And do you "reset" the thing somehow? I know there's a LOT of tension on those things just by taking the belt off and getting the bolts that I have off the bracket so far, besides what's behind the tensioner. I just don't want (and can't afford) to spend the money right at this moment. Any and all help is much appreciated! Ed

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
As long as the bearings are hood, the tensioner can be re-used.

The power steering /A.C. compressor bracket is a bit tricky. There are 3 or 4 bolts from the front and at least one, maybe more that go in from the side. It's been about a year since I had mine off. I think one of the side bolts was accessible through the wheel well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mudduck66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got it! It was a piece of cake. Three bolts on the front, including 2 behind the tensioner (which was still good (thanks,btw)), and the two on the bottom driver side, accessible through the wheel well (like you said). Took about 90 mins to unbolt and put back the bracket. Replaced the elbow for the heater hose and also replaced the lower radiator hose while I was there. I'm sure I'll be back there someday when I replace the H20 pump, but now I know what to do after reading this entire post! So the entire job was a couple hours total. Thanks!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals