• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to change the clutch on 4X4

coNtReeboyAlone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I have this awful squeeking sound when the clutch is out, and when it's in you can feel vibrations on the pedal, and makes this racket. So I figure it's the throwout bearing and I've known it needs a new clutch. So what I need to know is everything I need to do to change the clutch and what else i should replace. ie. slave cylinder....etc.. Thanks y'all.

john93rangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
same way you change it a a 2 wd pull the trany

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
remove both front and rear driveshafts from t-case, remove speedo cable from tcase, and shift motor wiring, place jack under tcase, unbolt and remove, then remove exhaust or jack up cab (your choice) start removing shift linkage and vacuum lines from transmission, dipstick ect, remove starter, rotate flywheel to remove all torque converter bolts, place jack under trans, unbolt, some you may need to get thru fender well, top two you can either get from top of engine down, or thru floor panel

if its manual trans forget the torque converter bolts obv

just noticed you had clutch issues, i'm a tad slow today. so everything the same as far as t-case and driveshaft and all, but you have to remove the clutch master line, and you dont need to remove the starter.

Last edited:

coNtReeboyAlone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mmk thanks yall, but yea its manuel, and yea, like I can figure out how to do it, I have a hanyes, but, like is there anything else I should replace, such as, u joints, bearings, ya know...and yea there no vacuum or anything or dipstick, and whats a speedo cable? anyways yea just what else should I replace while I am at it.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
you'll see the speedo cable going into the tcase, its got a bolt and retainer plate holding it in.

you can replace the ujoints on the front and rear shafts while its off, maybe the rear main seal on the engine.

and the obvious clutch disk, pressure plate, either replace or resurface the flywheel, i'd just replace it, pilot bearing in the flywheel, new slave/throwout bearing assembly and you should be good to go

coNtReeboyAlone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so, slave cylinder? or is there something called a slave bearing?

coNtReeboyAlone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also, what kinda of u joints should I get. I see there are like two types and I dont really understand. 1310, 1210,1310 CV, and 1210 spicer WJ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals