• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 prerunner build.

aaron88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
kind of a 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well I have had a few two wheel drive trucks that have been fairly capable. The idea with this one is to keep all of the speed of the 2wd trucks and have the ability to get through most 4x4 trails. I do a lot of hunting and fishing that requires me getting back into some places that require 4x4 but first some pictures of my old trucks.

Now onto the new stuff started life as a bone stock 1993 4x4 4.0 autotragic unfortunately I have no pictures of it all stock. So here are some after wheels tires and fiberglass. Along with one next to my daily driver 4x4 5.4 2000 f150.

Then it was onto building a bed cage. Completely ditched the bed I'm running a 44 gal rci fuel cell, 2.5 Foa smooth bodies, deaver g50 pack kartek drop hangers with stock boxed shackles bumped and strapped at 17.

Decided to completely ditch the inner fenders up front because on my last two trucks they just ended up cracking a ripping apart over time not to mention trying to clear them at full bump.

Picked up some 6 over d35 ttb beams and weld it yourself radius arm brackets from Brandon at Btf motor sports wanted to build my own radius arms because I like a fairly decent amount of caster built into the front end. At that point I started building the engine cage at the moment it's just a single Foa 2.5 12in coilover with a 2.0 2in hydro bump but soon I'll be adding 3.5 bypasses out back and and a 2.5 14in bypasses up front. Also forgot to mention that I had the truck re geared 4.88s front and rear with a lsd out back just a temporary solution to the rear ended which will eventually be getting a 9inch once I can afford to put together a 3rd member.

I'll be adding some more pictures and stuff as soon as I get off work just doing this on my lunch break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaron88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
kind of a 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Pictures of said 9in that will eventually be out back I just need to find a way to get a 4.88 gear ratio instead of the normal 9in 4.86 I know everyone says it will be okay but at times I do plan on running 45-50 in 4x4 so I'd like to have the same ratio front and rear that 2% will make a huge difference. And a few random welding pictures I'm not the best but I try.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
.02/4.88= .004% You'll be just fine with that difference in ratios. You could have more than that with tire diameter difference in wear.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

bri113

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I'm following this build!! This is basically what i want to do to my '98... as far as end result. Is it harder or easier to pre run the non A arm trucks? I went A arm b/c in the long run i know it will be the sturdier of the two. thats not to say the ttb front end wont get it done!

Last edited:

aaron88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
kind of a 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well I'm following this build!! This is basically what i want to do to my '98... as far as end result. Is it harder or easier to pre run the non A arm trucks? I went A arm b/c in the long run i know it will be the sturdier of the two. thats not to say the ttb front end wont get it done!

I beam front ends are every bit as strong as the a arms and it's easier to get good travel numbers with ttbs that being said they don't cycle as clean as arm trucks do. Imo it's way easier to build beam trucks but that's just because I have built a few already and understand how to make beams work. If a you asked a guy that builds a arm trucks a lot he would say exactly the opposite.

aaron88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
kind of a 4.0
Transmission
Automatic

Started the final assembly of the front end before work today. I'll mount the bumps and limit straps after I check tire clearance up front.

aaron88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
kind of a 4.0
Transmission
Automatic

This happened truck is almost a roller

aaron88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
kind of a 4.0
Transmission
Automatic

Should be driving it around Thursday or Friday this week just needs a few little things intake parts will be here tomorrow. But all that's really left is double checking that all the bolts are tight hit them with a paint marker then it's off too the alignment shop. Oh and set the ride hight but that won't take too long the Idea is to get it registered middle of next week take out out for some testing before my trip.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

aaron88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
kind of a 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
No pictures yet but the ranger is on the ground rolling under her own weight need to track down a fuel issue though for some reason the pump isn't kicking on after the new front end I'm sure it's something small should be running and driving tonight

aaron88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
kind of a 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well I drove the truck around the block tonight I'll post pictures when I get a chance to take some during the day. Discovered that the 4x4 isn't working I hate this electric transfer case shit... Can't wait to swap it out for a manual one.

aaron88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
kind of a 4.0
Transmission
Automatic

aaron88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
kind of a 4.0
Transmission
Automatic

Late night started a bumper last night need to build the bottom hoop tie it up too the front tube cut and mount a skid plate then onto the upper portion of the bumper but it's nice to have lights again.

aaron88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
kind of a 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443306765.710495.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals