• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oh no cracked head!!

d1c3y

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I just bought an 89 bone stock nice n clean with a blown head gasket. So I got it all torn down and found that the head is cracked where the valve cover would sit. Ive already been told dont mess around just replace both and Im wondering if anyone might have info on a cheap place to order them or what route you guys might take. Thanks in advance.

InsaneBroncoII

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well if you do one you might as well replace the other ones. Just be sure that the heads are clean before you install them. Make sure there is no metal left anywhere on any oil passage. The more you pay for it, the longer it lasts.

d1c3y

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ya that is true. Any good choices or brands I should watch out for?

InsaneBroncoII

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ive never ordered heads before so I wouldnt know, but be sure that the heads are exactly the same, and compare them to the gasket.

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A few years back i ordered heads for my 4.0 on ebay. They came with reman heads, gasket set amd new head bolts. The seller even sent a return label to ship the old heads back as cores. It all cost me about $300 if i remember correctly. I do know it was about $200 cheaper than sourcing everything locally. I dont remember the seller though but a simple ebay search should find at least a few worthy options

BenRB2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a set of 2.9 heads from a little company in virginia or west virginia called EJ enterprises... hadn't heard much about them either way but figured id try it since they were only 500 bucks for the set... got them and am extremely impressed. been running them for about 3 or 4 months now. Theyre sturdy and built heavy in the places the others were weak.

I was in the same boat i bought my 88 and 2 days later got the heads fluxed, both cracked right down the side between the valves lol

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got a set several years ago for about the same money from a
Local speed shop. I like dealing with local folks on stuff like that so I have someone to go back to if I have problems.

Also a good time to consider an engine swap if your considering anything like that down the road. Maybe move up the time frame

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals