• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 2wd with front torsion bar suspension noisy .

TxDarth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have noticed a noise that is beginning to bug me...

I just bought this truck about a month ago...has 80K miles and pretty clean overall but needs TLC. I have already replaced brakes on all four corners - turned front rotors and repacked wheel bearings. Replaced one rear drum and turn the other...etc. etc. I also replaced the front shocks - thought it rode a little stiff.

Now my problem...going over city streets and small bumps it sounds like there is something loose or banging on the right front side, left side no problems. I have tried to find something loose and nothing obvious to be found.

One other thing there is only about 1 inch clearance between the snubber and the perch on the lower control arm. That means there is very little travel to the suspension, but it is even on both sides. All the ball joints and bushings look great.

Anyone had a noise from the front they could not find easily....

Last edited:

TxDarth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Still new to the Ford Ranger...

Have only had this truck about a month or so...but I know already that I do not care for the torsion suspension is this truck. Beside being noisy, which I cannot find, the whole system is very limited as to what you can do. I keep reading about lowering these Rangers and improving the handling, etc. Well forget that on this model. Are the Edge models the only version with torsion suspension?

My experience with mine at least is it is very stiff rough riding even for a truck.

My rear suspension I guess is like all the rest - typical leaf suspension, again stiff. I could remove the first leaf and the two inch block which would lower it several inches but I am not sure of the ride improvement. Plus it would look funny with only the rear lowered - too fifties!!! Had I known about the torsion suspension problems I don't think I would have bought this truck at all. I looked at quite a few trucks for about a month - I started looking for a step side but they were all trashed, so I widened my criteria for the trucks and settled for this one as it was clean and low mileage.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Ball joints can look good and still be bad. It looks like your truck has been lifted, probably with a torsion bar crank. This can cause a stiff ride if cranked too far. That is easily remedied by reversing the torsion bar lift. That can also cause the shocks to extend to the stops in bumps making a noise. Loose sway bar bushings can be noisy.

You might want to check if the rear has been lifted with an added leaf. This can cause the rear to be very stiff.

All 4WD Rangers since around 98 have torsion bar suspension in the front. I think Edge is the only 2WD Ranger with torsion bar suspension.

TxDarth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I thought that maybe it had been cranked or lifted as well but there is only about an inch of clearance between the snubber and the lower control arm. That would be the extend of travel left in the front suspension. Doesn't seem right does it...

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I thought that maybe it had been cranked or lifted as well but there is only about an inch of clearance between the snubber and the lower control arm. That would be the extend of travel left in the front suspension. Doesn't seem right does it...
that's normal.
the snubber is only about half-way between the pivot point/bushings and the wheel. So 1"at the snubber equals 2 at the wheel, plus the snubber gets squashed as the wheel moves farther.

on a 2wd the torsion bar setup is considered heavy duty suspension. it rides higher and stiffer. if you want it even stiffer, :D get a front stabilizer bar from an Explorer, they're huge.

it also means you can swap the spindles out for a later year that has the 12" front rotors, yours probably has the 11.25" rotors.

oops, just noticed its an 04, should already have the bigger rotors.

kinda reminds me of way back when GM came out with the Cyclone and Typhoon hi-performance trucks, Guys were complaining their trucks rode like trucks.

Great looking Ranger you have there, wish mine were so clean.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
about that noise, there shouldn't be any. once the worn parts are replaced they are just as "quiet" as the coil spring trucks.

TxDarth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have pretty well decided that I made a mistake buying this truck with the Edge option....do not like the torsion suspension at all...

I should have researched the different options before buying after I decided to buy a Ranger for the looks and seeing them everywhere. Here is the truck after getting the new Mustang wheels installed with 1 1/4 spacers. No clearance problems and they are virtually the same diameter as the original wheels. The tires are a little softer riding but it is still a very stiff riding truck.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
what state is this truck in?
engine? tranny? axle ratio?
I'm up in the rust belt and clean vehicles are hard to find.

TxDarth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am in God's country Texas - NorthEast to be exact.
If you are talking about mine it is an '04 with 80K miles. It is a 3L V6 with auto...I also paid a premium because of all that gave $5900 for it and have spent another 500 or so on new brakes front and rear - turned front rotors and had to get one new drum for the rear. I installed new shocks up front. I also picked up another complete rear axle to modify with rear disk brakes soon, will use Mustang rear parts as they will bolt right on and I can keep the same wheels. They are also Mustang (2013)

I had dual exhaust - well almost - a one in two out MagnaFlow with several inline blanks to cut down some droning that started after the install.

Installed full carpet instead of the rubber mat to cut down noise...

All these things didn't help the ride - its stiff almost like a truck...:yahoo:

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I'm gonna have to correct 'ya some, God's country is MICHIGANs upper peninsula!!!!!!

It's my favorite place to vacation, even though I live in Ohio.

If we were a bit closer I'd be making you a serious offer on that Ranger, they cannot be found that clean up here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals