• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One more 2wd 98 coil spring 5.0 swap.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
After washing the panels with wax and grease remover I went ahead and applied the JP202 primer surfacer. I first put two coats over the repaired areas followed by two coats over the full length of each piece. Once the material set up I went ahead and carefully fit the pieces back into place on the Ranger.

I will let the panels dry over night and all day tomorrow and then block sand them once again with 180 grit paper. If all goes well that should be the final time for the majority of the surface area. The repaired sections may need another go around just to be safe but we will wait and see and make that decision as we go. Hopefully most of the surface will only require two quick light coats of JP202 to fill the 180 grit scratches and then a final block sanding with 320 dry paper.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Nice. You got me thinking of doing another lowriding x cab ranger....with a 6.0L....

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Nice. You got me thinking of doing another lowriding x cab ranger....with a 6.0L....

SVT
X cab, 6.0! Yep, I think it is time for you to get started on that

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
When I say 6.0, I mean 6.0 powerstroke, not the gm 6.0. I really do bleed blue! Lol

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
When I say 6.0, I mean 6.0 powerstroke, not the gm 6.0. I really do bleed blue! Lol

SVT
Ha ha, is there any other color? I will be checking in on that thread for sure.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Post another you tube video please
I will try to take some video in a few weeks of the upcoming paint work. Both quarter panels, tailgate, rear bumper, hood, hood hinges, mirror inserts, front bumper, bed, etc. It is going to be "Paintapolussa" that weekend. A real potluck afternoon.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
About 3:26 pm today I received my proof of delivery from Fed Ex that my parts had arrived. I couldn’t wait to get home and make sure everything was secure and none of the 2011 body parts were on back order. I found the boxes neatly stacked in the back yard next to the truck.

I carefully removed all the pieces and double checked my invoice as I went. One Header panel, one chrome grill, one front bumper, one front valance, two head lights, two tail lights, two park lights, two fog lights, one tailgate handle, and one Ford grill emblem. Check, check!

I had picked up some mounting hardware earlier today in preparation for the front end mock up. As you can imagine I was very excited to get started and to make sure everything fit before moving forward with any paint work.

Good to go, everything fit without modification. Now I can pull it all back apart and start getting everything ready to paint with the other pieces.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Ooooooh, shiny stuff! Lol

SVT

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I block sanded the rear quarter panels and tailgate with 180 grit dry until the OE material started to peek through the primer. All of the panels are coming along nicely and will require two light coats of JP202 primer surfacer to fill the 180 grit scratches and then a final sanding with 320 dry or 400 wet before paint.

Along with the rear body panels I have also been working on preparing some of the smaller pieces and the used 2011 hood I purchased a while back. The underside of the hood has been scratched with a Scotchbrite pad and is ready for two light coats of epoxy primer. I like to use the epoxy primer on any areas that don’t require much block sanding or “straightening”. The epoxy primer can be top coated within 72 hours without any additional sanding. You can spray the base color and the clear right over the top of the epoxy primer and save a step of scratching the surface once again. That helps a lot with the added time of hitting all the recesses and difficult contours.
Because the used hood had been painted I decided to cut the majority of that material down with 80 grit paper. I started with a 17 inch file board on the long flat areas. The 80 grit will cut fast and still give us an idea of how straight the panel is by using the material as a guide coat. The yellow fleet color was quickly sprayed with very little attention to detail. A few areas are showing signs of poor adhesion which is why we are going to cut through it quickly; most of it needs to be removed.
You can see how quickly the yellow material piles up. The panel is very straight and the only sign of highs and lows is around the underside bracing contact points. That is normal and really isn’t much of a concern as far as showing later on. But since we are here lets go ahead and spread it out some to reduce any possible impact on the future reflection.

I moved on to a 6 inch soft block to cut the raised side portions of the “power dome”. Sanding in uniform cross hatch patterns, first at a 45 degree right hand angle then back over the same section with a 45 degree left hand angel. You can very quickly see how the area looks by the scratches left on the surface and the piles of material scraped away. The scratches and the piles should look uniform as the progress moves forward if the surface is damage free.

Notice the white high spots are bisymmetrical where the underside bracing creates pressure from below.

Now that no real damage has been discovered the next step on this panel will be to DA sand it with 80 grit and knock down the majority of that terrible yellow paint.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I decided to take a step forward and move into modern times with the addition of a new paint gun. I have been using Binks Model Sevens for the past thirty years and thought a new Sata Jet HVLP Digital would be a good choice. I can’t wait to get the rest of my pieces ready for paint so I can try this thing out. Word is it really lays down the clear nice with little to no effort!

I also ordered a salvage Explorer 5.0L cruise control module for the truck and got it installed a few days ago. Now I will be able to put those buttons on the new Lightning Steering wheel to use when the truck is tagged and on the road.

I drilled divots into the tailgate and bed on each side of the cable brackets so they can easily be returned to the correct position after the tailgate and bed are painted.

Then I removed the bracket on one side at a time to sand the jamb section of the tailgate while the cable on the opposite side held the panel in place. I am trying to avoid laying the tailgate upside down and risking a dent in the now straight sheet metal.

The front bumper cover and the header panel have now been sanded with 400 grit wet and are ready for paint.

The hood has been block sanded with 180 grit dry and is now ready for two light coats of JP202 Surfacer and then a final sanding with 400 grit wet.

The tailgate has been final sanded with 400 grit wet and is now ready for paint.

The rear bumper has been block sanded with 180 grit dry and is ready for the final two light coats of JP202 Surfacer and then a final sanding with 400 grit wet.

The rear quarters needed one more go around with 180 grit dry directly behind the rear wheel. The rest of the panels were fine and are ready for a final sanding with 400 grit wet.

Here is what the poor thing looks like at this stage of the game! All dirty and in dire need of a good wash down.

I still have my fingers crossed for laying down some color this weekend. If the weather holds out and I can get another two nights in I should have everything ready by Saturday. It is going to be nice to have the entire truck painted one color, Tuxedo Black Metallic.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Lookin good, Jeff!

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Paintappolussa started early today! I finished up a few last minute items and set everything up before sunrise. By 7:30am the basecoat was in the gun, the air compressor was running, and the neighborhood was sh*t out of luck for sleeping in on this Saturday morning.

The first coat of Tuxedo Black Metallic went on at 7:32am. There was trouble right from the start! After the first three passes water started dropping out of the inline air filter at the gun right onto the fresh basecoat. Three moisture traps and it was still pouring onto the panel. I blew out the lines, reset the compressor and got past that issue. A light scuff on the hood and a little touch up and I was back in business.

My wife has been after me to paint the patio furniture black. I figure this chair is half done!!! Just kidding! This was one of the old ones I held on to just for this job.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
After letting the basecoat set up for 45 minutes I went ahead and shot three coats of clear over the top of the color. More trouble!!! 20 minutes after the last coat of clear went on the first rain drops started to fall. It was a mad scramble to get the Mustang out of the car port and then hustle the still wet panels under cover. The hood, the rear bumper, and the front bumper cover all have some pock marks from the rain. I am pretty sure they will all buff out fine but that remains to be seen in a few days. The rear quarter panels were not as bad and should be good to go after color sanding and buffing.

After the rain passed I went ahead and hung the quarter panels to try and get them into a safe location before something happened around the house. Small wild life is crazy here and something or someone is going to jump or fall on these if I leave them lay on the ground for very long.

A few bumps in the road but nothing that can’t be addressed. I think I can get away without respraying anything but I will have to wait a few days to be sure. I am sorry I don’t have that smooth perfect finish on these pieces to show you guys today but a little sand paper and polish will make a world of difference. I have my fingers crossed!!!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals