• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'84 losing automatic tranny fluid

wagonerkl

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My '84 BII has a static leak in the transmission system somewhere. It leaks about 3 teaspoons in a 12 hour period as it sits in the driveway. Left long enough, it will completely drain the tranny. I have had the pan removed, new filter and pan gasket installed by Ford. It still leaks as before.

Is there any "well know" culprit with these transmissions? My oil change guy said it looked like there was some leaking from the around the fluid level tube, but that seems too high up to empty the tranny. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1. Are you sure it's not happening while driving?
2. Are you seeing any puddles undernieth, or fluid on the bottom of the tranny? Also, up front at the tranny cooler?

Also, What tranny do you have? My old A4LD has an extension (Tail Housing? not sure what it's called) that attaches the output shaft to the transfer case. The output shaft main rear seal allowed it to leak into this extension, and I didn't know until I removed the transfer case and all this old trannyfluid poured out. might check that.

wagonerkl

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Oops, I guess I should have included my transmission type...it is a Code W equals C-5 transmission. It may be leaking when I drive, but it also leaks statically. Thanks.

Peterbilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter
Transmission
Manual
Check your vacume module at the back of the tranny on the passenger side thats where mine like to leak.

wagonerkl

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Peterbilt. I finally took it to a tranny shop; here's what the problem was:

1) O-ring around dipstick tube was cracked. Apparently when the engine is running, the fluid level is below the point where the tube pushes in to the housing. But, when you shut it off, fluid from the torque converter flows back into the tranny and raises the fluid level so it leaked out there pretty good.

2) Some leakage was from the around shift lever arm. There are two circular rubber seals that are supposed to prevent fluid from leaking there. I watched the tech do the work and it seemed rather simple. Drop pan. remove filter, remove valve body, disconnect shift linkage (exterior), remove nut from shaft, pull shaft out, replace seals, and put it back together. Total cost was about $200.

Other things I learned: The previous filter change I had done by Ford used the wrong filter. The C-5 (Code W on your warranty sticker) which is in 4 WDs of that year has a slightly different (deeper) pan than a C-4. The filter should have an extention "snout" that reaches down into the bottom of the pan. Presumably that allows you to drive on steeper terrain without sucking the air (my guess only). If Ford doesn't know, how are we supposed to know??

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's the individual mechanics that are the real issue. We all make the mistake of relying on a company name for dependability, and expect quality work from a company reputation. They all hire from the same gene pool. If you can find a mechanic who really knows what he's doing, He's worth his weight in gold, regardless of what company he works for...
The last certified Ford mechanic I used took me for over $3000 over 3 months, and never fixed the Automatic Tranny problem I went to him about...I swapped in a manual M5OD myself after that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals