• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Getting Ready to do a 4.0 swap, questions.

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, did you have to get the aftermarket oil screen

shadow88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just cleaned my screen and re-used it

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok i gotcha was just wondering cuz it said "This pump requires that you use a melling aftermarket screen only" what did you use to clean it

shadow88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used my parts washer, but you could use just about anything

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok but the stock filter should fit?

shadow88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine did, just ask when you buy it

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks will do, went and looked at the donor today, guys delivering it to my house tomorrow, no smoke or anything and sounds pretty good, for 600 and hes hauling it to me so not to bad a deal in my opinion

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
got the donor yesterday, gonna be a very gradual swap since im still in school but will keep everyone posted, went ahead and swapped the seats out today

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well since i have discovered by b2 had the fm146 im contemplating swapping the trans out of the donor however, im not sure what trans it is but it is a 5spd and 2wd out of a 95 idk how much of an issue it would be to put in, any opinions?

partsnut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The Explorer uses a 2wd transmission(like 2wd Rangers) that won't bolt to your T/C. Only 2wd BIIs had the 4wd trans and the dummy T/C.

I changed the clutch in my 91 Explorer when I got it. Getting the M5 out and in is a B****! There is zero extra room in there. I didn't like the M5 either. Shifts nice, but the person who selected the gear ratios was a MORON! Did someone tell him the transmission was going in a 2500lb sports car, not a 4000lb SUV? First was ridiculously high(I lived in a flat area, I never would have taken the SUV to someplace I had to start on a hill, in high range) and I still turned almost 3000 rpm on the highway, in 5th!

I have an A4ld behind a 2.9 in my BII. If I change the trans, I'll try the Mitsubishi, with synthetic lube in it. Looked inside one, should hold up to 140hp.

My friend put 400k miles on a 91 Explorer! We put 4 replacement A4lds in in(80k, like clockwork, no towing, he drives it REALLY easy). Besides that, he changed the plugs every 50k, the waterpump once, the MAF sensor twice and that was it! I can't believe he got 400k out of that alternator, maybe he forgot to tell me that. He's an engineer, and really religious about oil changes(conventional, not synthetic). After they got a new SUV, the wife was tired of looking at it and sold to some people who knocked on the door one day, lol! We were property appraisers, driving 5k miles/month, so it was highway miles!

I'd change the main seal in the back and timing seal in front, coz it's a PITA in the car! If you can run the motor before you remove it, hook up a mechanical gauge and check oil pressure. If you've got 30lbs at idle(maybe 25 if old oil), forget about the oil pump and run it as-is.

My 2 cents!

truckerdawg

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31X10.50
I hate the A4ld-robs power and fuel mileage. I have both an A4ld BII 4wd and a M50d BII 4.0 4wd. Did I say I hate the A4ld. Keep as much driver side wiring intact on your BII before you do any swapping. This includes the headlights and wiring behind the radiator where your power accessories run to the passenger side. You may need to swap it out but may not so leave until you know for sure. Keep it there till after the 4.0 is installed. All engine control wires do not matter-none of them really are the same. Label and take pics of both vehicles (everything there-from the connectors, wires, and all engine parts)-maybe not needed if your memory is good, but sure can come in handy. All it takes is one thing to cause a headache.

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the advice guys, should be getting ready to do this in the next few weeks over spring break from school, just got a new job though so may get in the way a bit, but hopefully not too much

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals