• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B2 on the Rubicon Trail!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Personally I made a Radius arm mount that is also my trans crossmember
this is the rough idea... this was before it was welded fully and cleaned up

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
So I am assuming that your radius arm is a thread piece of pipe that was screwed over the end of the bolt in the picture? How long were your radius arms. I like the idea you have 4.0B2 its simple and within my range of skills. How did you connect it to the axle? Also was it hard to get an alignment done afterwards? My bushings on my passenger radius arm are gone and now my alignment is off pretty bad.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
How did you know where the mount the radius arm bracket? Did you just put the arm on the axle and where it lined up on the frame thats where your put it? Or is there a more technical way to figure it out?
That's basically what I did, yeah.

What I did was put the axle beams as far forward as I could while maintaining about ½ - ¾ inch clearance between the axle shaft and the driverside beam's pivot bolt (nut facing front of vehicle), and then marked the RA bracket holes for drilling. This actually puts the axle about 1" further forward than it was originally, which not only puts the tires a little further from the firewall for clearance, but improves the steering ackermann geometry a bit as well.

It drives great on the road. Gears are almost dead-on perfect for the 2.9L (5.29 would probably be ideal, but no such animal for a Ford lol).

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
My arms use the stock front piece with a piece of Tubing welded in it that's longer than stock. Welded in the tubing is weld in bungs that are threaded to accept the flex joints. Look in my build thread(see signature) and you'll find a lot of pics of the d35 swap with extended arms, f250 shock towers, Superrunner steering, etc.

I to pushed the axle forward about 1" to 1.5"

Last edited:

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
My arms use the stock front piece with a piece of Tubing welded in it that's longer than stock. Welded in the tubing is weld in bungs that are threaded to accept the flex joints. Look in my build thread(see signature) and you'll find a lot of pics of the d35 swap with extended arms, f250 shock towers, Superrunner steering, etc.

I to pushed the axle forward about 1" to 1.5"

Yeah I just started on your build thread and realized there is a 134 pages :shok: lol but I'll get through it and learn a little bit more.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I am all about moving the axle forward a little so i wont have to trim as much fender on the cab side to run 35's.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I just started on your build thread and realized there is a 134 pages :shok: lol but I'll get through it and learn a little bit more.
The d35 swap ain't that long tho. A lot of the pages are post whoring and small stuff.. start on page 121 for the front axle swap and build. The rest is good but I can save you time lol. There is a little before that, but nothing I don't think you won't see later in the thread also

Last edited:

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The d35 swap ain't that long tho. A lot of the pages are post whoring and small stuff.. start on page 121 for the front axle swap and build. The rest is good but I can save you time lol. There is a little before that, but nothing I don't think you won't see later in the thread also
Thanks bud! :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals