• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wanted early longbed rear fuel tank

HvyFt4spd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302ci
Transmission
Manual
My credo
You'd learn faster with your ears open and your mouth shut!
I'm looking for a new or like new behind axle rear fuel tank for my 83 Ranger. So far I not finding one in stock and orders won't be filled until November. I'm not certain if the FI tank is any different or not as of yet but I could modify it if nothing else is available. I'm in Akron Ohio and something local would be a huge plus.

Thanks, Dan

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The fuel tank opening was supposed to have changed for '85, the in-take EFI 2.3 pump needed a bigger hole so it was changed across the board.

Carbed stuff (2.0/2.8) stayed with a carb style pickup but was changed to fill the bigger hole.

Last edited:

HvyFt4spd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302ci
Transmission
Manual
My credo
EFI/Thanks and a question...

Thank you noting this, that was my assumption but I've yet to compare them. The correct part and even a sender would be a huge plus but I could make adapters if need be. I have a few calls out hunting the local yards.

I was going to search before asking (and still plan to)but do you happen to know what the factory ohms scale used on the sender is and if or when it changed. I was putting it off until later but I had intended to build a larger tank for the truck. The old one has been poor
ly repaired in several places already and I'm not having much luck so far in finding a new one. If nothing turns up I might just go ahead a build a tank now but I need to verify the sender so I can use the original guage.

Thanks, Dan

HvyFt4spd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302ci
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Cool/sender needed

Hey, thanks it's greatly appreciated.

I did some digging in the home garage and I found just enough scrap material laying around to build a 20gallon tank give or take in stainless. I'll no longer need the tank but a new factory sender would be a plus here.

, Dan

AdirondackRanger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I brake for leaves that could be frogs
not sure if it would be much help for you.. but I have an aftermarket secondary tank that was in place of the spare tire on my 88 extended cab. I could give you the measurements off it. sorry not able to post any pictures. pm me your number if you like and I can text them to you.

HvyFt4spd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302ci
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Tank

Sorry I just saw this...Thank you very much for the offer but I'm already neck deep in building one.

Thanks to the above posts I found there is not an aftermarket sender available to properly match the factory gauge. For now I cleaned up the original and I'm using the original pick up for a tank vent.

,Dan

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals