• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 ranger HELP! dont know what to try..

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L HOPING FOR A SWAP SOON
Transmission
Manual
Today I'll put an FPR and a new set of plugs in and see what happens from there.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Bad fuel pressure regulator will cause all of those symptoms

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I put in new plugs and a fuel filter, they wouldn't have an FPR till this week Wednesday.. So I'm waiting on that. The plugs and filter seemed to help a bit, but still misses and hard starts every once in awhile. And one side of the fuel line after the filter doesn't have the quick connect like thing, it just has a plastic hose slid over the end. I barely pulled on the line and it came off of the filter. Is there a replacement line I can order so that I feel secure about that line holding on the filter?

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is there a breakdown of that canister somewhere?
how would i go about checking the injectors?
i put a new set of plugs in and ended up putting a fuel filter in it, which needed to be changed badly, but the side of the filter closest to the motor does not have that quick connect like thing on that end, just that plastic end fitted over the end of the fuel filter. i barely wiggled the fuel lines and it popped off.
Could that be an issue not having that connect thing on only one side of the fuel filter?

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
The way I checked my fuel-injectors was removed the upper intake. removed the 4 little bolts that hold the fuel rail on.
Then I pulled the rail up with the injectors still hooked in it and flipped it over so the injectors were pointing up.
I unhooked the coil wire, put the truck in neutral and turned the key on to pressurize the system.
Then I jumped across the starter solenoid to crank the engine over and watched the injectors spray.
some of my injectors were good with a nice fan pattern to the spray, some were leaking after I quit cranking and they bleed off pressure in the system. One injector was real bad and would fire randomly but with a straight stream of fuel that shot about 10 feet.

I just replaced all 6 of mine today. Got them from Rockauto for $19.95 each..New not rebuilt and came with all rubber o rings....ready to install. Local parts houses wanted about $80 each.

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was planning on replacing all the injectors eventually.. some are kind of noisy.. i just need to get the misfire and fuel mileage back atm..
how much of a task was it to replace the injectors?
at that point i might as well replace the valve covers too not?

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I replaced my valve covers also today.
Its not a hard job at all to do, just take your time and watch the small clips on the fuel injector connectors. I had my done in under 2 hours time ( fuel injectors, valve cover gaskets, plenum gasket, upper radiator hose)

as for gas mileage my 86 2.9v6 5 speed 4x4 with 3:55 gears gets 22-24 mpg
with 30" tires

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the fuel line should have a clip that retains it... looks like these if I remember correctly.

http://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/fuel-line-clip/dorman-fuel-line-retainer/604824_0_0/

I would also check the timing, that would cause it to start hard and also be way low on power.
Yes, that is the connector, but the whole assembly is gone. just that plastic hose fitted over the end of the fuel filter..
My 87, 2.9l 5 speed with 225/65/15s is getting 10-12..
timing is good, i checked that already

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, i am pretty much at a standstill..
1. still misfiring
2. wont climb hills unless you are in 3rd gear WOT
3. check oil light keeps coming on, check the oil, nothing is on the dipstick
i changed the oil, put 5 quarts in it again and 60 miles later, check oil light comes in
I love this truck, i dont want to have to get rid of it. but i need something with less problems and something that will actually cruise down the highway with the cruise set
anymore suggestions would help.. i cant throw a TON of money towards this truck, but id like to keep trying..
Also, an edit from my last post, the actual tire size on it is 215/65/15s, and i just checked my ileage and am getting about 13 mpg combined hwy and in town.

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
the truck is a 87... does it have the old style heads or the new thicker castings? The old heads crack real easy and they had a redesign.
look here for info on how to check:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_9_Page.shtml

The quickest way to tell what heads you have is the outer edge where the valve cover seals on above the exhaust. The new heads are more straight than the old style that was really curvey where it goes around the valve springs.

How did the old oil look when you changed it? clean? dirty? or milky like water mixed in?

Thats some serious oil loss. need to find out where it is going.
is it a external leak going on the ground?
or a internal leak into the cylinders and burining it?
might be a head gasket leak or cracked head and getting into the coolant system somehow?

Check the radiator antifreeze and see if it looks like oil is mixed in.
Check to see if there is fresh oil leaking on or under the motor slinging onto the chassis.
If not It has to be burning it and smoking out the tail pipe.
that would foul out the plugs and cause a nasty miss.

That could be caused by bad piston rings, a hole in a piston, or getting sucked into the intake through the PCV valve.

Need to get a compression check on the engine!
very simple to do if you have not done one before and will tell you alot about the condition of the engine.

where about are you located?

Last edited:

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How did the old oil look when you changed it? clean? dirty? or milky like water mixed in?

Thats some serious oil loss. need to find out where it is going.
is it a external leak going on the ground?
or a internal leak into the cylinders and burining it?
might be a head gasket leak or cracked head and getting into the coolant system somehow?

Check the radiator antifreeze and see if it looks like oil is mixed in.
Check to see if there is fresh oil leaking on or under the motor slinging onto the chassis.
If not It has to be burning it and smoking out the tail pipe.
that would foul out the plugs and cause a nasty miss.

That could be caused by bad piston rings, a hole in a piston, or getting sucked into the intake through the PCV valve.

Need to get a compression check on the engine!
very simple to do if you have not done one before and will tell you alot about the condition of the engine.

where about are you located?
as of which style heads i have i could not tell you.. i will check out the link you posted and see if i could give you some feedback..

the old oil looked clean like it just came out of the bottle.. the PO said he just did an oil change (he was not lying)

there is no oil leaks that i can see, i park in my driveway so i could watch to see if anything is leaking, which nothing is.

it is also not burning any oil.. that i would have noticed lol.

i just checked the antifreeze this morning and it looked fine to me, but i may try to find time to do a coolant flush this weekend..

also i will do a compression test sometime this weekend i do have the tester.

i am located near Center, North Dakota

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
also, on the wiring harness that runs to the distributor. there is an odd wire that was wrapped in a tin foil like material, but the wire inside of it is just an open wire, and i could not trace it back to anything..
[/URL]
(sorry for the bad picture, phone quality lol..)

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
If I remember it is just a interference wire, and not hooked to anything in the distributor TFI connector. The foil insulates the wire from any interference in the harness and usually is grounded on the other end.
I would have to go out and look at my truck later to make sure.

In the first post it reads like you just bought this truck, and has been running like this since you have owned it. The plug wires, cap, look new. Did you do the tune up or previous owner?
This may sound silly me asking..... but are you 100% positive the firing order is correct?
two mixed up plug wires can cause the problems you describe.

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you could look for me thatd be awesome!

the PO did the tune up, but the plugs said otherwise..
so im starting to wonder whether he actually did the tune up, or.. just made it look like he did..
i will check the firing order tomorrow, and i know what thats like.. my 69 chevy had the banks flip flopped..
took me awhile to figure that out lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals