• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 2wd slow restoration

JB3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi new member, picked up a decent little ranger that was once loved, but fell into a little neglect. My goal is to bring it back over time. Specs are 2.9 V6, auto tranny, 7ft bed and 3 color paint job. I really like the paint scheme and want to bring back the cream which is showing rust over the wheel arches, and spots all over really.

It was a DD fairly recently, but there was a massive automatic transmission failure. PO said "explosion of ATF and smoke from between bellhousing and engine". Never moved again.

I had it towed to a transmission shop and they are rebuilding the transmission for me as we speak.

here are a few initial pics-

Should be done with transmission work this week, then I put it to work!

jhammel85

Doesn't look bad at all! Glad to hear it's getting itself back on the road and getting TLC.

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I also like the 3 tone paint job it has a nice classic look to it. It's good to hear you plan on fixed up the Ranger. I hope you will keep us updated as you get more work done on it.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Love it! Looks alot like my 83 when I got it.

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
Nice old Ranger! I have a soft spot for the oldies. Hope it runs great for ya.

JB3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks all!
Excited to start using it and doing other work. Usually i do all my own work, but rebuilding an automatic transmission is a bit beyond my abilities. I picked this truck up for scrap price so the complete rebuild is just worth it fortunately. Id love to have a 5 speed or even a 4 speed, but the primary use for this truck will be cleaning up and improving the house, and the wife needs to be able to drive it.

Having said that im impressed at how reasonable patch panel prices are, ill have more detailed pics soon

JB3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so have the truck back now and time to get to work.

the transmission guy gave me a detailed list of repair items he replaced. Ultimately the transmission needed an overhaul and seal kid, two bands, one low band, a thrust washer kit, two band and servo covers, and a new torque converter.

I also had a transmission line replaced that was leaking, and an O2 sensor was cracked so they replaced that free of charge.

Shifts like a dream now, drove it around and I have work ahead of me. Something is up with the front suspension, ill have to go through that fully, but it almost has a stumble, like a secondary landing after each bump. disconcerting

Also priority one is the thermostat is stuck open and I picked the truck up at 18 degrees out, that was uncomfortable. More close up pics soon

JB3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I need some bucket seats.

Anyone has some red bucket seats they want to sell, let me know.

will anything from a gen 2 fit in an early gen 1?

Lil2much

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Truck looks good with the running boards and hubcaps. Just redid the suspension on my first gen..shocks, springs, ball joints and tie rods all the way around, pretty easy. You wont need spring compressors just plenty of penetrating oil, good leverage and big wrenches. Look forward to seeing progress.

JB3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Truck looks good with the running boards and hubcaps. Just redid the suspension on my first gen..shocks, springs, ball joints and tie rods all the way around, pretty easy. You wont need spring compressors just plenty of penetrating oil, good leverage and big wrenches. Look forward to seeing progress.
good to know! need to get into the front suspension, ive put about 700 miles on this thing already and theres a popping problem up there over bumps. Nothing felt loose with a wheel shake off the ground, but something is definitely up

JB3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
more initial condition pics-

Interior is pretty decent. Aftermarket radio works, but does not eject CDs, dirty but complete. dash is a bit cracked. Only thing to fix is the dash lights don't work at night

Sooner rather than later im going to paint in the ford on the gate in red. I think that would look great contrasted against the white gate

Rust pics, the first two pictures in the thread didn't show the spotting surface rust everywhere, but this will give a better view of the issue-

bad rust issues-

weird little feature whoever restored this truck added. Probably looked pretty good smooth and shiny originally, before it wrinkled-

Ive done some basic maintenance. hasnt failed to start, though I did find some milky condensation in the oil cap, but the oil looks fine and no contamination in the coolant.
The coolant was a quart low though, and there is definitely a coolant smell coming from somewhere. Have not yet found the leak. Does not even come close to overheating though

I had a nice surprise in that the size of tire that was on the ranger turned out to be exactly the same size as my car I just sold, and I have 6 spare tires kicking around from that car (and parts cars ive had over the years). The ranger had some bald dry cracked front tires, and I replaced them already with some very decent rubber from my collection

Last edited:

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
You can buy he FORD decals for the tailgate on ebay cheap

JB3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can buy he FORD decals for the tailgate on ebay cheap
Great thanks!
Found and ordered some

Next improvement is i need some kind of rack to protect the window and a bed liner either sprayed on, drop in, or painted wouldnt hurt.
Nearly busted out the back window moving brush, and even though i was being careful, put a few dents in the bed moving rocks.

A plastic liner would be most dent resistant, then i could do spray on later

JB3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
New plan, come spring gonna keep my eye out for a 4x4 ranger. Truck has been totally reliable and great, but ive been stuck so many damn times in my driveway that a 2wd truck just wont work for me in winter on my steep driveway
Anyone looking for a decent DD gen 1, pm me

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals