• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel pump wiring

hkerekes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
On my 89 v6 2wd the ground wire for the fuel pump was intermittently having a bad connection. I dropped the tank and took off the 4 wire connection to the fuel pump and bent the connectors back into shape.

Long story short I am not 100% sure the order of the wires.

Looking from the top of the connector, left to right. Does it go black, red, yellow, orange?

I dont have a chiltons or haynes and I need the truck tomorrow morning. I searched but didnt find much. Whoever designed that 4 wire connector needs to be beaten. It is easily accesable without taking the tank down but getting that connector on right without looking at the pins is a pain in the balls.

Last edited:

hkerekes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I would guess it only goes on in one direction but never taken one off

hkerekes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It worked yesterday when i would move the black wire. I believe that one is the ground.

The red stripe has power and so does the orange. Both of them are not getting full 12V

I ran a seperate 12v wire to the red / black wire and the pump works and primes itself

With red/black on the left and black next to it. The truck wont start. I havent touched anything else since i drove it home yesterday.

Anyone have a wiring diagram? The autozone website is broke and I have no other way to get around.

hkerekes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Figured out my problem. I had the wiring right but only 6-8 Volts at the power wire. I ran a seperate 12 volt wire and it worked. Somewhere there is a break in the wiring which i may or may not try and find.

Another question, what is the smaller fuel line that goes to the middle of the tank for?

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i think there is a pickup line, return line, and one also coming from the charcoal canister to dump fuel back in. or its just a vent.

hkerekes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thank you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals