• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 Ranger Timing Belt

88ranger2.95sp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok guys I got a bidduva problem here.

Ranger #5; the Opec fighter. Timing belt blew. Non-interference motor. PHEW!

My neighbor volunteered to do it (he works at Monro Muffler) and he tried to start it four times (obviously after the job was done). He lined up the marks on the crank, the cam, and the oil pump(?). Retried four times with the harmonic balancer on. Cranks and cranks but won't start.

When I did this on my friend's 2.3, he needed to replace his water neck. He thankfully had marked 12:00 on the pulleys when he removed the belt. It would still be sitting there if he hadn't done this. The engine turned and turned and turned but didn't fire up. Are the Haynes manuals and the ones even the professionals use wrong???

If anyone has ever done this, some help is greatly appreciated. IKE makes me like this little truck alot more.

ROb

tylerh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
there is 2 sets of marks on the cam and oil pump one is a upside down v and the other a diamond check the book to see which one to use i know it tells you in the haynes manual

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sounds like either the coil wire is not connected or the timing is out 180*...make sure the number one piston is fully up on the compression stroke (pull the plug, put your thumb on the plug hole, and crank the engine till you feel the pressure push your thumb upwards)...then line up the marks again and install the belt...

Army

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Man, I still feel super lucky that my belt went over 250,000 before I changed it.

My water pump went south, so I told the shop to replace the belt as long as they had the front pulled apart.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What year is this one?

On my 95 2.3 the "DIAMONDS" on both the cam and oil pump pulleys must be at 12:00 o'clock. The keyway on the cranshaft must also be at 12:00 o'clock.

It's pretty wierd but I recently did a 2.5 swap and the timing marks on that are slightly different. The cam pulley "DIAMOND" is around 2:00 and the oil pump triangle is at 12:00. Keyway to the crank still remains at 12:00 too.

Good luck, and let me know if you need more help.

Allen

tylerh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hey hardwareman check those marks again cause that 2.5 i just put in all the marks are at 12 o'clock and its all original ten thousand kilometers so im sure factory timing but i could be wrong

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that's the way it was when I got it. I did'nt need the inner timing belt cover marks to align my 2.3 but I think I do on the 2.5

I'm not sure actually, but it's running good.

So you're saying that the diamonds should be at 12:00 on the 2.5 also?

Allen

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals