• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Poll: Switching forum software to Xenforo

Should we switch forum software to Xenforo?

• Yes

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Doesn't matter to me either way

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Technology and forum software has changed over the years. Today, more people are viewing the internet from their cell phones. This version of vbulletin was never meant to be mobile friendly, but newer software is.

I've considered switching the forum software to Xenforo. If you're not familiar with it, explorerforums is using it, and you can see how the forum adapts to your mobile devise making it more user friendly.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php

I want to get some feedback from our members to see what you thought, as well as any experience or feedback you may have about using it.

Thanks! :icon_thumby:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I visited the Explorer site and although it was different territory I could get used to it. If I was using my phone more (which I rarely use because it is so hard to navigate) it might be better but I've been weaning myself off that technology.

In terms of where this is going technologically I'd say it's probably better to go with different software now and everyone would be up to speed...

The cons...if you are focusing on older technology like the early Rangers and people are using computers to access it...they would probably not be as happy with the newer software. I would leave that up to the others to decide though.

How much longer are we going to be keeping this Ranger format alive? I can't even begin speculate.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dunno how it compares otherwise but in my quick Explorerforum test it was nice to not have to zoom in to read thread titles.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My quick dicking around says that I can get used to it. And you should do what you feel is best for the forum there Jim

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well I like vBulliten (most of the forums I go to use some version of it) and I hate change.

I also don't much care about mobile accessibility because if I am not at my computer I must not need to check the forums.

That said, I checked out Explorerforum for a few minutes to see what that setup was like, and I don't think it is so different that I won't be able to get used to it.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For mobile access I'd have to say that I like the way Explorerforum works a lot better than the "enhanced mobile view" of a lot of other forums I've been on. That said I typically use the desktop version of any forum even when on my cell and have no problem.

Like Mark and ADSM, I mostly visit the site from a computer. Trying to wean myself from being constantly connected to the internet as well and am seriously even contemplating ditching the smartphone.

I think I prefer the vbulletin format and that's where my vote is going, but can adapt to what ever. If Xenforo is better for you and keeping the site up and running then do it.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I'm not really super concerned about it, most forum templates operate the same way.

Though I don't really go here on mobile much so it doesn't affect me.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
One thing I have noticed on other forums when a change of software takes place, there are a lot of BB codes and user links (such as the little arrow in quoted posts that takes you to it's original post, the user rep and itrader stuff, etc. just to name a few) that tend to get broken or lost. An update to a later version of the same software I think would help avoid some of those issues.

As for smartphones and mobile, I've mostly abstained (too small screens, atrocious flexibility, less privacy control, too many other issues). I generally will have my laptop with me when I travel anyway. My experience here is almost solely from normal computers, so I can't really comment on that side of things.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I can't do the tiny mobile screen. But apparently that's what people today use.

As long as it's pretty much the same format, and one can navigate the same, I can't see an issue with it. I do like the current TRS scheme though. The Explorer Forum was a little bubbly for me. Having limited website experience, I don't know if that's something software related or just a graphical choice.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I miss YaBB :)

But seriously, i would spend more time here if it was a but more mobile friendly.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used to run a music forum, I switched from vBulletin to phpBB because I no longer owned a vBulletin license, switching from one forum software to another is a pita if you want to move the old content, everything brakes!, most of the time you are better starting from scratch and keeping the old forum running as read only to not loose the old content.

I use Tapatalk on my mobile, so I don't care if the forum software is mobile friendly or not, Tapatalk makes it friendly.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I normally use tapatalk to view forums on my phone. So I'm not worried about the site being specifically designed for mobile devices. I did check out the other site on my phone last night in both tapatalk and directly using Google chrome. I almost think it was better in chrome. But I can't put my finger on exactly why. I'll check it out on a desktop tomorrow.

The thing I noticed most was so many ads that it was hard to find the forum. If you go that route, I hope that premium members will get ad-free access.

I administered a few websites years ago and I know how much work it is and what a pain it can be to switch a site from one platform to another, although that may be easier these days. My experience was over 10 years ago.

I really like TRS and I have no plans to leave. Do what's best for your situation. You have my support either way.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Totally up to you Jim if you want. I agree about the lost data and specifically post with pics. Which are far more helpful to me. I only use tapatalk when I need to upload a photo, as I'm not tech smart to upload them anymore and tapatalk automatically resizes them lol.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Totally up to you Jim if you want. I agree about the lost data and specifically post with pics. Which are far more helpful to me. I only use tapatalk when I need to upload a photo, as I'm not tech smart to upload them anymore and tapatalk automatically resizes them lol.
As if Photobucket didn't already Photofckus on that front.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have no problem with Explorer Forum but if you go that route, maybe the ads and popup crap could be kept to a minimum? I get that it costs money to run a website and I have no problem scrolling through ads but it seems that every forum I'm on that gets upgraded, also gets an advertising upgrade at the same time that makes it very hard to use.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals