• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

the ol' zip tie throttle trick

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I put two zip ties on my throttle cable because there was a lot of slack in the cable. It definitely help the slack and throttle response. My question is if there is any issues with doing this? will this wear out the cable worse than before or could this cause any issues down the road. I've read about people doing this and notice an immediate response but they never say anything a year or two down the road. So just trying to get some input on this whether its worth it or not. Right now I have 2 normal sized sip ties on there and there is about 1/8" slack in the line, meaning I can pull the gas pedal forward about an 1/8 inch. might be a little more, lets just say 1/8"-1/4".

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The cable is stretched and the ties take up the slack. I did this on my first truck and it rusted out so maybe that's connected...:)

I did it on my next truck and the engine overheated and cracked the head...

I did it on my last truck and I ended up selling it for much less than it was worth...but more than scrap metal was going to pay me for it so I did OK...

If you count all those against the zip tie fix then I'd be careful about doing it...otherwise...enjoy the better throttle response and always carry a spare cable if you can get one...

I broke one on the highway once and had to rig up a temporary cable to get me home...it wasn't the best solution so after that I carried a spare in my tool box...

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have spares in my truck I just wasn't sure if this would stretch the cable out even more. I'm just trying to get some feedback on this. If it is going to affect something negatively then I wont do it and maybe just do the one cable. I cant see what it could do other than stretch the cable more. the cable is not giving any throttle the way it is. It literally just took the slack out of the cable. my pedal had about 1/2"-3/4" of play before I added the zip ties.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sorry, didn't mean to joke with that but the real answer is it will not do anything further than is already done. The cable will stretch more if it was only two zip ties...I had 7 on one cable before it broke.

It really is hard to break them but there is no telling when or where they will break...mine broke off right at the pedal end but that was mostly because I modified where the cable went into the cab after seeing that there was a difference in the angle of the exposed cable enough to cause it to rub against the outer lip of the end of the casing.

I tried to make a spare out of a bicycle brake cable and it will do in a pinch but it is not the same strength of the OEM cables.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
With continued use, the cable will continue to stretch anyway. That's normal wear for a cable. Only negative effect from the zip tie trick is that you don't run out and buy a new cable as often as the manufacturers want you to. Watch for frayed, broken wires at the end connectors and replace the cable when you see that happen.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The cable itself looked new and shiny by the gas pedal and no fraying. I do like the better throttle response. before when I would go to pass somebody I would have to press the pedal really hard into the floor to get it to shift down like it is supposed to. now its like a whole new motor.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

HighMileage93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l I4
Transmission
Manual
Three Years

I put two zip ties on my cable around three years ago and no issues. May be time to add one more though. LOL

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I put two zip ties on my cable around three years ago and no issues. May be time to add one more though. LOL
See that's good to know. That's the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
My ranger has had zip ties on it for 15 years with no issues. My '01 Accord actually has an adjuster at the throttle body to take the slack out of the throttle cable.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Wearing the cable more seems a silly thing to worry about. The damage is already done, and the whole purpose of this "fix" is to put off needing to buy a replacement part for a while.

Of course the part, that wore in the first place, will continue to wear with continued use. This is something like asking if the treads on a re-tread tire will wear out.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wearing the cable more seems a silly thing to worry about. The damage is already done, and the whole purpose of this "fix" is to put off needing to buy a replacement part for a while.

Of course the part, that wore in the first place, will continue to wear with continued use. This is something like asking if the treads on a re-tread tire will wear out.
I was more just wanting to know if anyone had issues with this. like lets say the zip tie breaks all the time and you have no throttle because of all the slack. I just wanted to know how this worked in the long term. I'm aware my cable is stretched, obviously and I know that its not going to fix itself or shrink back to size lol. I'm well aware of that. I've been a mechanic for 15 years now whether its on my own stuff or in an actual repair facility. I always tell people "its not going to fix itself" when they ask about their loose tie rods or ball joints.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I always tell people "its not going to fix itself" when they ask about their loose tie rods or ball joints.
It won't?????

Oh, crap!!!!:shok::annoyed:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My first Ranger had visions of being something better so it rusted out and I sent it to Ranger Heaven...now it can come back as a born again Ranger in 2019...

The miracle of love...:icon_rofl:
Too bad those new rangers look like crap. I hate all this modernizing of vehicles. what happened to keeping it simple when a headlight was square? now they have more curves and angles than the car itself. I'm sure those fancy headlights aren't cheap either. that what is love about my truck and rangers in general, is that you can find parts all day long for cheap. heaven forbid you try to find a part at the local pick-n-pull on a 2019 infinity qx50 lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals