• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Good non amplified speakers?

rangergi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
I2.5
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,
I just got a Sony CDX-GT260MP deck, it is 17w rms x4 and its peak is 52w x4. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good speaker that fits this requirement. Right now I'm just replacing my 2 front door speakers, but would eventually like to replace the back ones when I get money. Mom is giving me $100 birthday money. That I can spend on these speakers. Any help is appreciated and thank you ahead of time. :icon_thumby:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

rangergi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
I2.5
Transmission
Manual
Even with my peak lower than the rms of the speaker. Does it still sound good and put out cab rattling lows? As well as the highs? I guess what I'm asking is could it play pink Floyd, the wall, (whole album) without missing a note?

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To get the crystal clear highs and the thick lows you will need more then the rms your head unit puts out. You can't get a Porsche for Ford money. I have 100 rms at my doors and am satisfied with the results for now. For your budget I would suggest that you check Craigslist for a used 2 or 4 channel amp from a decent brand, you can find them for about 50 if you are patient. And then save a bit more cash and then pick up a set of speakers. Again if you watch the best buy adds they occasionally have a set of kenwood 6x8s that sound very good, on sale for 60. I ran them before I changed to a component set and still run them in my f350 and I have them in my sisters focus. But for 100 bucks you are gunna be searching for a while.

rangergi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
I2.5
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks, it really hasnt crossed my mind to check craigslist yet, for the worry of getting a bad amp or just plain ripped off, and i do accept i will be looking for a while, so im gonna be listening to 3 sperakers for a little, my driver side door one had water damage to it:dunno: anybody with more suggestions im willing to take.
- thanks

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Just got a set of Rockford Fosgate 8" for the doors and love them.

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The thing about amps is you get both more volume as well as you get noticeable clarity in your music, higher clearer highs, and deeper lows. At 100 watts rms x 4 at my doors and in me headliner, 500 watts x2 subs behind my seats, I can get to 106 db's before I hear distortion. Much louder then a factory system.

Picking up a used amp can be a bit of a gamble, if you can't hear it hooked up, walk away. But condition is everything, look at how it was taken care of. If it was just screwed to the side of a box and tossed in a trunk and beat it probably won't be worth a look. But you can Learn a lot from someone's current system if they upgraded. If it looks nice odds are they treated the amp with care

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Even with my peak lower than the rms of the speaker. Does it still sound good and put out cab rattling lows? As well as the highs? I guess what I'm asking is could it play pink Floyd, the wall, (whole album) without missing a note?
Cab rattling lows... that's a bit unrealistic with a deck. However, they do exceptionally well for door speakers when it comes to bass. That was my purchase point with them. I liked the speakers so much that I pulled them out of my Ranger when I sold it and put them in my F150. With the highs, I am very picky and always require separate tweeter mounted up high in the cab. So no, the highs aren't how I personally would like them to be, but my expectations may be different than yours.

rangergi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
I2.5
Transmission
Manual
Yea. I think I'm hoping for to much :p. I'll look into the pioneers more, and I was at frys yesterday and saw some infinity's that are marine certified that looked good. What types of amps are you guys running and do u like them or would you suggest something else?

backwoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
every speaker sounds different in every vehicle. Especially for bass. All vehicles have a resonant frequency. If it just happens to correspond with the natural frequency curve of the driver and installation, you could get a sudden big bass benefit, but in someone else's vehicle it may sound like it has no bottom end.

For low power, you want to find a low excursion, light coned driver. I would look for a driver from a sight like madisound. Most car audio drivers are junk. They may only cost you $68, but the equivalent driver in a raw driver selection would be $6 for instance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals