• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Desperate need of help with radio.

z411811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So my friend has a 99 ranger and was having trouble installing his new radio. I have done a couple so I decided to go over and help. When I got there I discovered he had cut off the factory radio plug and tried to splice those wires to the new radio harness. I have heard this works but is way harder. All he ended up getting was a blown fuse and cut wires.

So we go get the harness from an audio shop and I set to work reconnecting all the factory wires back to the plug. I set up the harness and everything seems good. But the new radio refuses to turn. I try a number of things (check wires, connections, make sure the cut area is flawless) and still nothing. Im searching all over the internet, thats how I found these forums, and come up with nothing. So we try to put the factory radio back in and It will not turn on either. You can push the clock button and it lights up, and eject cds and such, but nothing a real radio would do. I tested his new radio in my truck and it works fine, but neither work in his.

I cant figure out why it would display the time but not actually start up the radio. And how the factory radio worked and now It is broken. Do you think he should buy a new factory harness and try splicing that on instead of the old one? Or is it something to do with a signal not being sent to turn on the actual radio? Or maybe he shorted the wires and ruined them? Or could it just be the ground on the new radio that wont let it start up? I didn't ground it to anything on the body, just spliced it into the harness. I tried for nearly 8 hours doing various things but could not get anything to work. Please any insight is much appreciated. I feel like my head is going to explode.

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
There should be two 12v feed lines to the radio, one constant and the other that comes on with the ignition. Sounds like you lost one of them.

z411811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There should be two 12v feed lines to the radio, one constant and the other that comes on with the ignition. Sounds like you lost one of them.
I couln't have lost one because they are all reconnected, there isn't a wire missing.

MPRanger

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Be sure to check all the fuses in the truck. There is a fuse that operates the switched power for the radio. If he cut the wires all at once the constant probably back fed and blew that fuse.

As far as the new harness goes it won't help.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I just dealt with something similar on an F-250. Do the power windows still work?

The windows and radio get power off the accessory delay relay. It gets fused power from the interior block. If it looses power the windows and radio quit but the factory radio will act exactly as you describe.

MPRanger

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I just dealt with something similar on an F-250. Do the power windows still work?

The windows and radio get power off the accessory delay relay. It gets fused power from the interior block. If it looses power the windows and radio quit but the factory radio will act exactly as you describe.
Thanks adsm. I couldn't remember which block it was in.

z411811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There was one blown fuse that I found. Are you saying maybe this relay thing might have a blown fuse too? I checked the one that had the word radio in it and that was the one. Ill tell him to go through all of the fuses and see.

MPRanger

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
There was one blown fuse that I found. Are you saying maybe this relay thing might have a blown fuse too? I checked the one that had the word radio in it and that was the one. Ill tell him to go through all of the fuses and see.
There will be one for the constant power and one for the switched power. If the radio time will work but it won't actually turn on then he'll need to track that fuse down. Like adsm said it is in the interior fuse block.

They are listed in the owners manual.

Last edited:

z411811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The interior fuse block is the grouping of fuses on the left side of the truck under a plastic piece? Because we already replaced one from there and double checked all of them.

MPRanger

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The interior fuse block is the grouping of fuses on the left side of the truck under a plastic piece? Because we already replaced one from there and double checked all of them.
I'm not sure which left you're referring to but it's in the passenger side kick panel. The fuses are #6 and 22 I think.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals