• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

10" or 12" Sub?

rebel167us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a good and reliable system up and going.

It'll be in my 88' SuperCab Ranger. Right now, Everything is stock but this is what I'm thinking of running

Pioneer CD player with iPod hookup.
300 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp.
10" Pioneer Sub with its own box, or 12" Pioneer Sub.
5x7 and 4" speakers.

I already have the Amp and the speakers from my El Camino I had.

I'm just looking for something that hits pretty good and is reliable. What do you guys think? And, what would the differance be between subs?

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What are you looking for in terms of tone, tight and clean or loud/boomy. The 10 in a sealed box will give you real clean bass but not quite as loud, if you want more boom then go with the 12. A ported box will give you maximum output but looses some of the clean sound you will get from a sealed box.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
depends on what kind of music you listen to also, if you listen to rock, its better to get a 10 because a 10 can hit more notes than a 12 can, just because of the size, a 10 is smaller , and moves faster compared to a 12. i listen to mostly rock, so i got kicker l5 10' a sealed box, is all you need in your cab. it will make you happy.

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i personally have a dual 4 ohm voice coil 12" sub in a ported box runnin at 2 ohms powered by a 750 watt amp and it bumps pretty good. and it sounds pretty good with rock too...

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
As I understand it, the damping factor of a system is better with smaller woofers.

PFM99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry baker guy but you got some wrong info about subs just to clear it up to the O/P it doesnt matter if its a 10 12 15 or 18 the size of the woofer doesnt effect how low it will go it matters what the fs and the response range of the woofer is some are made to go lower then others and if you have room for a 12 i have a treo ssi for sale if your interested

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
10" thin pioneer IMO. the good one, cost you around $100 for the sub.

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For the same money you can get a Kicker CVT that can handle a bit more power.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
sorry baker guy but you got some wrong info about subs just to clear it up to the O/P it doesnt matter if its a 10 12 15 or 18 the size of the woofer doesnt effect how low it will go it matters what the fs and the response range of the woofer is some are made to go lower then others and if you have room for a 12 i have a treo ssi for sale if your interested
i didnt say the size of the woofer affects how low the hz will go. i meant that the size of the woofer is responsible for its accuracy. a 10 will hit more beats than an 18. because its more responsive, its quicker.

PFM99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what your talking about is moving mass the less moving mass the more quickly it can responed not the size

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
what your talking about is moving mass the less moving mass the more quickly it can responed not the size
exactly. and an 18 has more mass than a 10.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
For the same money you can get a Kicker CVT that can handle a bit more power.
that needs more airspace= larger box= more room taken up...when, it doesn't change alot on the sound unless you're trying to knock pics off walls inside the house from your driveway.

i'm just saying, i know those pioneers need a smaller box. interior space in a ranger is prime real estate, why not save some of the space...

i'm pretty sure the CVT needs more airspace(if i'm wrong, this entire post is junk!)... and you can bump a 10" pioneer hard. i have a kicker CVR dual voice coil in my b2, but i have more room :D.

off topic: but my insight for this! :icon_rofl:
i know that when i was young-er... i had big sub boxes.... and i have gotten slightly older, they keep getting smaller and smaller. my advice to any younger guys (like 16)... think ahead. build a smaller box now w/ a thin sub. you don't need eye ball shattering bass.

PFM99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no thats were you are wrong theres 18s with lighter cones then some 8 inch subs it depends on what the sub was inteded for

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
no thats were you are wrong theres 18s with lighter cones then some 8 inch subs it depends on what the sub was inteded for
you should learn to quote.. :thefinger::icon_rofl:
b/c your reply, that comes directly after my last post... makes no sense
UNTIL you scroll back up to see what was said b/t you and Baker(?)

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that needs more airspace= larger box= more room taken up...when, it doesn't change alot on the sound unless you're trying to knock pics off walls inside the house from your driveway.

i'm just saying, i know those pioneers need a smaller box. interior space in a ranger is prime real estate, why not save some of the space...

i'm pretty sure the CVT needs more airspace(if i'm wrong, this entire post is junk!)... and you can bump a 10" pioneer hard. i have a kicker CVR dual voice coil in my b2, but i have more room :D.

off topic: but my insight for this! :icon_rofl:
i know that when i was young-er... i had big sub boxes.... and i have gotten slightly older, they keep getting smaller and smaller. my advice to any younger guys (like 16)... think ahead. build a smaller box now w/ a thin sub. you don't need eye ball shattering bass.
You are right the pioneer can work in a smaller box, however my reason for saying Kicker is that RF has a habbit of underrating their amps. If he orders a 300w amp it may very well push 350-375w. That would fry that Pioneer pretty quick, however the Kicker can handle it no problem.

The Kicker only needs a .8 cubic foot box which is pretty small and easy to build unless you do what I did with a hidden system. Even then I really didnt give up much room its just a low and wide box.

Now if you want a big box take a look at Steve Meade's tahoe or EXOContralto's ride.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals