• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rangers in Snow

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
best ever snow driver is a pre-'67 VW bus loaded with a 1/2 dozen buddies. If it got stuck, we carried it. :D

Mountain12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Been there done that.

:sad:
A few sand bags help.

Broo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sitting higher (SUVs, pickups, semis) ups your feeling of confidence and you are less careful because "nothing can happen to me". Yet the first ones in the ditch are usually among these three categories.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Sitting higher (SUVs, pickups, semis) ups your feeling of confidence and you are less careful because "nothing can happen to me". Yet the first ones in the ditch are usually among these three categories.
OMG my truck in 2 wheel drive is insanely scary in the slightest amount of snow or ice. in 4-wheel drive it's freaking amazing! although I take it very very easy I can go just about anywhere with it when the snow is on the ground,. I was bummed out because the last cold snap we had, the shift motor would not shift!

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Big'Un

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ram
Engine Size
5.7 Hemi
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
$hit Happens
If you can, drop the right side tires onto the shoulder....did this during an ice storm when I was stationed in Illinois. 2 wheels off the slick roadway helps a lot :icon_thumby:

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Seriously ya'll?! tires make the difference. not weight, not skill but tires. if you don't have winter tires then you are going to have issues in the snow, plain and simple. you can get a pair of new winter tires for a ranger for around $100. cheaper if you find them used. right now I have a pair of studded snow tires with barely any tread and I do just fine in the snow. I guarantee if you had brand new summer or "all season" tires then you would have more issues than my bald snow tires. 'nuff said. lol.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
" not skill "

I will disagree with that all day long. Tires are useless without skill. Weight is useless without skill. The proper amount of each of these things is best.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
" not skill "

I will disagree with that all day long. Tires are useless without skill. Weight is useless without skill. The proper amount of each of these things is best.
:agree:

No skill is why there is more 4wds in the ditch than anything else. "Oh, man we this thing is a tank, we can go anywhere." And then comes a curve, a panic stop, too much slope on the road... just about anything. And while it will go like it does on a summer day... it doesn't stop any better. Is not as stable... and off into the ditch we go.

Tires will help to a certain degree, won't help some numbnut trying to do 70mph on packed snow with the cruise on though.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
skill doesn't matter if your tires are so bad that you are just spinning and not going anywhere. yes skill does matter while you are driving. but skill wont matter when you are stuck in your driveway and just spinning the tires in a 2wd because you have no tread. I will still stand by good winter tires come first, then skill. like he said above driving is one thing but going around a corner or stopping is a whole different story. besides, skill is something that you learn over time. tires are an instant change in the vehicles handling.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
got me a full set of mounted snow tires a few weeks back and they do make a big differance. its warmed up layely with a lot of rain and i think they are better for the current conditions too vs the tires i had been running. wont be much longer and i can put my summer set on, 255/70's. those i first got when i still had my 93 4x, and i put them on right before the last snow of the season that year, boy those were the worst tires ever for snow, even in 4wd.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals