• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mod for Two 6x9's in Each Door

phlowtey

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My background is in high-end($250,000+ systems)home theater and custom A/V so I have an annoyingly critical ear for audio. A small cab truck does not help the situation. I currently have four 3-way coaxial 6x9's with a single 12 sub in my truck. I want to add another 12 but the rear 6x9's limited the size that I could build a sub enclosure to only about 1.5 cubic feet unless I push my seat uncomfortably forward. I decided to move the rear 6x9's into the doors. I now have the room the make a single sub enclosure with 2.5 cubic feet without having to move either seat forward. Installing the speakers in the doors worked out easier than I thought it was going to. I haven't built the enclosure yet. I will post that later. Below are some pics of the door mod.

Driver's side door panel. The existing 6x9 fits in the opening for the factory 5x8 without pushing the panel out too far.

It was hard to try and measure the depth, width, etc of the speaker in relation to the panel, door, and window mechanism so I pretty much just went for it. I picked the flattest area that was closest to the bottom and rear of the door.

I made a 6x9 template with reference lines to make it easier to line up.

I used a hacksaw blade in a jigsaw to cut the panel.

I put the panel back on the door to mark where I would need to cut the metal. I wanted to preserve as much as I could so I had something more than just the plastic to screw to.

After cutting the metal. The windows in my truck are manual. What you see here is when the window is about half way down the bracket passes close to the speaker. There was not a lot of options for placement but everything went well. It may be a different story with power windows.

Even though it isn't really behind me, the speaker still fills the rear field rather nicely. Overall, I am happy with the outcome, especially considering that I now have all kinds of room for a dual-12 sub enclosure without having to fold myself in half to get in the truck. The joys of having a single cab.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Your introduction and choice of speakers doesn't go....

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Your introduction and choice piss speakers doesn't go....
What brand are they? I might be blind, I didn't see it listed.

I also would be scared to mount a speaker directly to the door panel, especially seeing as how it's not exactly flush. No way could I cut up a structural piece of my door for the sake of sound either, and I'm into big sound.

But as the saying goes.... whatever floats your Cheerios.

phlowtey

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Your introduction and choice piss speakers doesn't go....
I agree. My introduction and three year string of being unemployed lead to different budgets. They are SoundStream or SoundStorm. Some brand that I have never heard of. They were $25 with free shipping. They get the job done, barely. I have the fader split about 70/30 favoring the front Pioneers so they do enough.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
What brand are they? I might be blind, I didn't see it listed.

I also would be scared to mount a speaker directly to the door panel, especially seeing as how it's not exactly flush. No way could I cut up a structural piece of my door for the sake of sound either, and I'm into big sound.

But as the saying goes.... whatever floats your Cheerios.
I meant 6 by 9 speakers aren't that great for sound. They aren't terrible but if I was gonna go through all the trouble of cutting up my doors permanently I'd go for a component system with maybe 8 in woofers or something to that effect...

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
I agree. My introduction and three year string of being unemployed lead to different budgets. They are SoundStream or SoundStorm. Some brand that I have never heard of. They were $25 with free shipping. They get the job done, barely. I have the fader split about 70/30 favoring the front Pioneers so they do enough.
That's good It looks good, I wasn't trying to rain on your parade just seems like to permanent a mod for 6 by 9s. I'm thinking of maybe enlarging the factory mounts but yea to each their own and if it sounds good to you who cares right?

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can't Immagine the placement is very ideal with half the seat covering the speaker. I mean it's better then the whole seat blocking the rear set. If they are just for reinforcement I don't see a problem though

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals