• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

don't come 'a knockin at night

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
night varmints beware!

currently mounted on a Savage 22LR

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
That scopes almost as big as your rifle!

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That scopes almost as big as your rifle!
He's doing it right then. Since I've been a gun-a-holic, the scopes usually cost more than the rifle.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Now you just need to get a real gun to put it on.

Just kidding of course, that'll work great for the coons, cats, and other varmints roaming the yard.

I really don't understand some of the packages that Savage builds though. Why the need for a tactical bolt handle and fluted heavy barrel on a 22lr? My Savage 10 FCP-SR came the same way. Heavy fluted barrel, tactical bolt handle, and 10rnd mag on a 20" 308. It was set up as a law enforcemen rifle, but I bought it for hunting. At the time it was the only way to get a drop box mag and a threaded barrel in a Savage model 10 308. The plus side is that it also got the accu-stock and accu-trigger. First changes (aside from scope) were a standard bolt handle and a 4 round magazine

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

is this big enough? .
I seriously doubt the night scope can see as far as the Remington 300 Ultra Mag can shoot.

those tiny things are what I use to take out rats in the back yard. they are only 700 fps and very quiet.
can't use them in a semi-auto, not enough power to cycle the bolt.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Now you've gone too big, need the other 300. A 300 BO SBR with subs would be about right and stay well within range of the scope. Then get a tacticool silencer to go with the tacticool NV scope, tacticool caliber, and tacticool stealth black socks.

I am kidding of course. Don't like the 300 BO. Have a couple silencers and an SBR, all of which are fun and have their uses. Dad's got a pair of NV scopes, one looks like what you have there and the other is an ATN. The were purchased for the same purpose, varmints and hogs. I would like to have one myself, but don't have enough opportunities to use it to make the purchase worth while.

Unfortunately my yard is lit enough that I could handle any pest problems with a scope and maybe a flashlight. Only real pests I have are fighting/mating cats, an armadillo, and the occasional dog that likes to pee on my car.

Haven't used any Agulia subs, but I've got some 750 FPS CCI and they are quiet. I want to see how they will perform out of a silencer, but I'm still waiting for my dedicated 22lr can to be approved. I've also shot some of the 1050 Winchester "sub-sonic" ammo. I can say that out of a AR 22lr upper with the 223 silencer, the action cycling is about all that you can hear.

The dedicated 22lr can was really purchased for my 6" Tactical Solutions Pac-lite, and with the velocities that barrel will run at I expect it to be quiet. Will have to get my old Glenfield mod 20 threaded or pick up a threaded Savage to use it on as well. The 22WMR mod 93 will need to be threaded as well. Maybe I need to figure out how to machine threads on dad's mini lathe?

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the Aguila Super Colibri are powder-less, the primer is all they have. barely punch thru 1/2" of wood but good enough for the rats. it fouls the barrel after only 10 - 15 shots to the point of jamming the casing in the chamber. silence is their only strong point. I tried some regular Aguila Colibri, but at only 550 fps the things bounced off plywood :icon_rofl: that was worthless ammo.
I had a flash suppressor, the cylindrical full of holes type. with the bullets being only 20 grains and slow, accuracy was non-existant. took the flash suppressor off and I'm back on target. I'm not sure how a real suppressor would affect accuracy on slow .22 ammo.

when cutting threads be careful, barrel steel likes to come off in chunks instead of smooth ribbons. either that or the guy that cut mine had dull tools.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tried some regular Aguila Colibri, but at only 550 fps the things bounced off plywood :icon_rofl: that was worthless ammo.
Probably aimed more at bb gun performance without buying a bb gun.

Flash hiders do mess with accuracy, typically not a whole lot though. Having low velocity and not a lot of mass your little bullets might be effected more than a typical supersonic bullet.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Put a can on it and they will never hear it coming.:icon_surprised::icon_surprised::icon_rofl::icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals