• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

STX and High Rider Info!

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thought this should go back up. Pics will be put up as soon as i host them somewhere again

Seems every other week somebody is misinformed about the high rider or asking about it in one way or another so here is what i have come up with. my info came from either a ford factory 1987 ranger brochure, an ad from feb 1987's field and stream or from guys here at TRS along with my own experience

High Rider became available in 1987 only on regular cab stx models. "A list of 21 unique components was required to give the STX High Rider it's increased vehicle height and greater handling performance" including a front mounted sway bar, a redesigned rear sway bar, new revalved gas shocks, new leaf springs, revised brake components, front drive shaft and transfer case. 140 Hp 2.9L V6 was standard with this package. (from factory brochure)

All high rider trucks are STX models which includes "special accenting, sporty trim, tinted glass, black foldaway mirrors, black grille and bumpers, and new tape treatment" (from field and stream)

"STX features reclining cloth bucket seatsin the Regular Cab model, or dual cloth Captain's Chairs with individual recliners and power lumbar supports in the SuperCab. The door trim panels are cloth-covered and include carpeted map pockets. The steering wheel is wrapped in genuine leather. Standard sound system is electronic AM/FM stereo with digital clock and four speakers. In STX you also have pivoting front vent windows for added ventilation, a convienent trip odometer, and a tachometer on the instrument cluster to read the pulse of the STX's electronically fuel-injected 2.9 liter V-6 engine." (from factory brochure, also noted on the page that some equipennt may be optional)

STX models came standard with Handling package (included front and rear sway bars), cloth buckets, tach, black rear step bumper, 2.9, tinted glass, etc etc. I have charts that show all available options and all equipment packages i would like to try to scan and make available here. I also have pictures of standard TTB brackets VS High Rider brackets i will post as soon as i can

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Good stuff. When I have time, I will try to post up some model info from the brochures I have.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I also have the original 1987 dealer sales brochure
I MAY have the 1988 and I'm sure I also have the 1987bronco2 brochure.

and No, I didn't save them, I bought them off of ebay about 5 years ago.

AllanD

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
was the roll bar and brush guard an option or standard equipment on the stx?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
was the roll bar and brush guard an option or standard equipment on the stx?
it was optional, this is what the brochure says...

The optional Sport Appearance Package - light bar** with off-road lights, grille guard with fog lamps, plus tubular rear bumper - is available to give your Ranger STX an even bolder performance image.

**Light bar not intended for occupant protection.

i have had one truck with them (removed by the previous owner) and one truck without them (was never there as far as i can tell)

Last edited:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
as promised...

By far, the easiest way to identify the high rider is by the extra plate on the passenger side bracket, or by the blocks on the radius arm crossmember

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I also have the original 1987 dealer sales brochure...

AllanD
Still have mine from original.

According to the original 1987 Ford Ranger sales brochure that I still have:

"Get ready for fun-tough driving excitement in a 1987 Ranger STX4x2 or 4x4. In STX you have a powerful 140-horsepower 2.9 liter electronically fuel-injected V-6 plus excellent handling capability to go along with it........the new STX Regular Cab 4x4 called the High Rider. It's engineered with a unique suspension system that raises the vehicle height and delivers improved handling performance . Or choose the STX SuperCab 4x4 equipped with a Handling Package. Both the Regular Cab and Super Cab STX 4-wheelers ride on P215/75Rx15SL outline-white-letter off-road tires.....................Ford enigineers set out to create a new experience in Ranger 4-wheeling enjoyment when they designed the new STX High Rider Regular Cab. When the design task was completed, a list of 21 unique components was required to give the STX High Rider its increased vehicle height and greater handling performance. STX High Rider's complete suspension system was engineered with the aid of extensive computer-design technology to deliver flat stable handling and ride smoothness.....................features a special forward-mounted stabilizer bar which helps deliver excellent cornering performance and optimizes handling balance between the front and rear suspension systems. This front stabilizer bar is computer-matched with a new rear stabilizer bar for precise handling and control..........new revalved heavy-duty gas-pressurized shock absorbers, new rear leaf springs, revised brake components, transfer case and front driveshaft."

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
thanks, natedog. sounds like the same one i have, i was just too lazy to quote that much of it....

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
how common are the STXs? i am curious because i happened to find and buy a BW 13-50 with the fixed front slip yoke just yesterday and am curious how rare it is. i read the transfer case disassembly article and it mentioned "the elusive fixed front yoke STX tcase" or something to that effect.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
how common are the STXs? i am curious because i happened to find and buy a BW 13-50 with the fixed front slip yoke just yesterday and am curious how rare it is. i read the transfer case disassembly article and it mentioned "the elusive fixed front yoke STX tcase" or something to that effect.
thats the t-case they use on the high riders (not the stx) and they are in fact very rare to find. they were only used for a few years on certain trucks. you must have seen how rare it is for people to find the high rider ttb brackets...the t-case comes from the same truck. good find, good buy. if you dont mind me asking, did you get it for a decent price? oh and if you dont mind, please post up some pics.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
well i had just picked up a regular 1350 for 35 bucks. the yard for some reason thought it was broken some how. i gave them scrap plus a bit. the t case was fine. didnt matter thought cause i am going to be cutting it down to convert it into a doubler. anyway i had never torn one of these down so i go and read the article in the tech section about disassembly and it mentioned these rare fixed yoke versions. so i go and tear it down and get to thinking, "gee it would be nice to have another case to mock up the doubler with on the bench so i dont have to pull the one from my truck." i go to this kinda hole in the wall yard that i had been to recently and i knew had a 1350 laying around. i ask him about it. he wants $125. i ask to look at it again. go look at it and to my surprise i find this nice rare fixed yoke tranfercase. FIXED YOKE FOR THE WIN!!!!! so i offered him 80 bucks for it and its sold. i should probably work on my negotiating skills cause he didnt want more so i was above his minimum price. oh well i am only 20 years old and still have alot to learn.

i tore this fixed yoke case down to inspect it so ill get pics later but here is one of the output shaft which you can see has the external splines and the threaded end.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2923000-2923999/2923646_17.jpg

if this doesnt work, go to my cardomain.com page in my sig and you can see the pic on the second page.

i will get more pictures when my room mate is not asleep and when there is more outside light.

are there any production numbers that tell how many high rider rangers were made compared to how many 4x4 rangers were produced overall during the same time period?

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
is the fixed yoke a e case? i hate my e case. i am seriously thinking of swapping a manual case in but dont know what would be involved in switching a 1350 manual case to a fixed yoke.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
nope its a manual. as far as i can tell all you need to swap is the actual out put shaft. the u joint is the same as is everything else. good luck finding a shaft.

Dangerous ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
STX VS. Highrider

Thanks soo much! That explains a lot! My vehicle is not a highrider model, but there are specifications saying "except STX" everywhere I look for springs. I ordered a set of leaf springs for the rear and new sensitrack gas shocks in the rear. After installing them the rear looks nice, but the front is sagging a bunch! pretty old parts up there! I've done a ton of work recently to ressurect this baby of mine from the 2yr sit in the garage. I want to get the front end op where it's supposed to be. With so many options out there, can anyone make any suggustions? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg...but I want it to be right. I started out with a set of leaf springs from JC Whitney. I hope that those leafs turn out to be a good bet! They seem good so far Any suggustions?

LordVngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Wow, Very Interesting. I didnt know I had such a Rare truck. And to think I was thinking of trading it in just the other day. As far as I know my STX is the high rider model and I know the suspensions are different but I didnt know they had different transfer cases and front drive shafts too. Interesting.

Guess that answers the question of weather I should buy a lift kit for it or not. If I do I will probably destroy some of it's value. How much more do you think a high rider model is worth compared to say a non-high rider model with everything else being the same.

Below is a few pictures for your viewing enjoyment. the tires that are on it now are 30x10.5 and I have never changed anything out on the suspension and probably never will.
What do you think. Does it have the high rider option or not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals