• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need a drop hitch

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
i need a drop hitch(or ball mount or whatever you wanna call it) for my ranger. Right now i have one of these 3 ball hitches but its too high to tow anything:

Anyway, i need a drop hitch. First of all, what size do you guys think i need? Truck is stock except for 265/75-16 tires. Also, is there any way I can get a drop and keep my 3 balls?

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
how about having someone you trust weld something like this up for you?

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Measure the tongue height of your trailer when level then the height of your reciever and the difference is what you nee for a drop. My truck, with a body lift and custom bumper with built in receiver tube needs approximately a 7" drop hitch. Dont forget to account for droop when the trailer is hooked up with a load.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Measure the tongue height of your trailer when level then the height of your reciever and the difference is what you nee for a drop. My truck, with a body lift and custom bumper with built in receiver tube needs approximately a 7" drop hitch. Dont forget to account for droop when the trailer is hooked up with a load.
yep this... i had to make a 6" drop hitch.. if you dropped your receiver down that far then it'd look dumb.

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
DRanger024, i see your theory if you would be using one ball size but check the op stated he ..
i need a drop hitch(or ball mount or whatever you wanna call it) for my ranger. is there any way I can get a drop and keep my 3 balls?
so the whole receiver has to be lowered so either koda6966, or my idea would use all 3 balls without having to have 3 drop receivers or changing ball size every time you switch trailers..:icon_confused:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
or you make a hitch for each one... if you're using scrap like me, and you make them yourself-- its free to make them!

see-- it works great. but everything i tow is 2" or will be soon!!

but i think Gray's idea is the best. that way it doesn't look dumb.. and its still functional and can be used w/ all 3 balls

Last edited:

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Let me clarify some things. I dont need all 3 balls, only 2, but the truck came with the 3 and i really like the convenience when I need to change sizes. I dont need to use this, I could just buy some balls. Its not like a do a ton of towing anyway.

Measuring for drop could be difficult because there are different trailers i will be towing, but i guess it will give me a good ballpark.

Thanks for the input guys. just wanted to see what my options are

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have just accumulated different receivers over the years. I have one without a ball that came with my Ranger for pin hitches, one with a 2" ball that I got when I got my F-150 and one with a 2-5/16 ball that I got when I realized that in fact dad's car trailer didn't take a 2".

I don't have to have a goofy looking cluster of balls sticking off the back of my truck, a heavy cluster of steel to carry from one truck to another, a huge object to try to store when not in use, and I can have a receiver in each truck. Usually the Ranger has the empty receiver and the '150 has the 2-5/16 in it.

I have towed 7-8k with them. I think they are something like a 2" drop, they look "right" pulling the managery of trailers I pull. (2 different car trailers (2" and 2-5/16"), a car trailer sized flatbed utility trailer (2"), a old fertilizer cart converted to lawn mower trailer (pin), and a misc utility trailer (2"), along with a wide smattering of farm implements (all pin)) I will admit, the manure spreader looked goofy on the Ranger, but that was more because it was almost to the bumpstops...

A little drop goes farther than you think. Your truck is basically stock, unless you have really goofy trailers it shouldn't take a whole lot to get it close to right.

Last edited:

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
I have an ranger edge running stock tires 235/75/15. I us a 2 inch drop and have found that the majority of trailers (popup, side load quad, open bed trailer, etc, each were 2000lb gross trailers) pulled fine and nearly level (load dependent). With the oversize tires you are most likely looking for a 3 or 4inch. You have an inch taller rim and 30mm greater tire, 30mm is just over an inch, with a 75 profile that would be 3/4 of the 30mm difference from mine- roughly. So a 3in may be slightly high and 4in may be slightly low. FYI; most trailers pull level with the tongue between 13 and 17 inches above the ground, usually about 15 inches. Thats the reason if you look at putting a hitch under a minivan or sedan the recommened tow bar is a 2in lift, where most stock trucks are a 2in drop.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i still say that if you need a 2-5/16's ball, you need a bigger truck.... lol

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

p38fln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 L GTDI
Transmission
Automatic
Hey I recognize that color scheme - Schneider orange with bat-wings from an old cabover... you're missing the third air fairing and step in front of the drive axle, if that truck was originally a Schneider tractor it did have one there.

Here's the one I used to drive - a picture of that same model of truck actually doing work back when it was "new"

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals