• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What am i doing wrong

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I bought an 87 and it needed its head replaced. So replaced them, but now i cant figure out the dizzy. I set the engine to TDC, drop the dizzy in with the rotor pointing where i can easily but the plug wire in the tower in falls on. But i can never get the timing mark to appear when timing off the number one plug wire. The first time it appeared on the number 6 plug wire, so i redid the dizzy on Sunday and now it only appears on the number 4 plug wire, so i am getting closer :icon_rofl:

So am i just not getting it in right, not getting it to true TDC? :dunno:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What am i doing wrong
You should have put a V8 in it :icon_twisted:

How old is the harmonic balancer? The rubber can let go and let the outer part spin on the inner part and read wrong.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
it should blink on #1 no matter what. It will fire, just at the wrong time. Make sure the block is grounded well, and check behind the engine for anything that might have been missed. If the coil plug was taken out, take a look there too or damaged terminals or corrosion.

What I do for tdc is take out the #1 plug, turn the balancer just until air just stops pushing out, line up the balancer to tdc. Then look to see how much it's going to turn the dist (test run) and set up the rotor to be on #1 on your dist cap when you drop it in. But either way it is close. hook up a momentary switch to your starter so you can adjust it when the engine is cranking over (key on run). a dot of white paint marker on 10BTDC is a big help.

Edit: Assuming you have the SPOUT connector removed!

Last edited:

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
You should have put a V8 in it :icon_twisted:

How old is the harmonic balancer? The rubber can let go and let the outer part spin on the inner part and read wrong.
I know i should have put a v8 in it :thefinger:, but the 2.9 in the truck ran good but was leaking coolant in the oil.

The balancer as far i know is factory.

it should blink on #1 no matter what. It will fire, just at the wrong time. Make sure the block is grounded well, and check behind the engine for anything that might have been missed. If the coil plug was taken out, take a look there too or damaged terminals or corrosion.

What I do for tdc is take out the #1 plug, turn the balancer just until air just stops pushing out, line up the balancer to tdc. Then look to see how much it's going to turn the dist (test run) and set up the rotor to be on #1 on your dist cap when you drop it in. But either way it is close. hook up a momentary switch to your starter so you can adjust it when the engine is cranking over (key on run). a dot of white paint marker on 10BTDC is a big help.

Edit: Assuming you have the SPOUT connector removed!
All of this is with the spout removed. I dont know why the timing mark only shows up on the number 4 plug wire, it doesn't make sense to me. I am not able to mess with the truck till Thursday. So i will double check all the grounds and check all the wires.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Man i hate cars. I cleaned all my grounds and now the truck wont crank. I think i messed up a ground, i am going to work on it tomorrow.

I am kind of leaning towards the balances slipping. My situation fits the symptoms. I get it running but the timing marks are way off the pointer.

How can i check to see if it has indeed slipped, do i try and move it back an forth or what?

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well u figured out the no crank problem. I forgot to plug back in the dizzy lol :icon_twisted:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals