• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II Power windows not working

sv650andy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 89 Bronco II Eddie Bauer with power windows that don't work. I have taken out the motor on both sides and tested them and they are working properly in both directions. I purchased a power window relay to try changing that but I can't find the freaking thing!:annoyed: Does anyone know where it is located? Or do you have any other suggestions as what to do to fix it? Thanks for any help you can give me!

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I went to Advance Auto and looked through a Ranger/Bronco II manual to find where the wiper motor relay was once since I couldnt find anything online. That might be a suggestion if no one on here knows where it is.

I wonder if it could be a ground issue or bad switches?

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Wait, the motors are working when tested....are you not getting to and power from the switch?

haulasswithclass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Power windows

I would see if you have power at the switch and window motor with a test light. My 89 ranger plow truck windows and locks quit work and i found the wiring harness were it comes out of the door and goes under the fender was bad over half the wires were broken. I cant remember were the relay is on the 88 bronco II it was on the core support were the wiring harness comes out between the fender and core support. Hope this helps

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
mine didnt work, but the previous owner had these plastic gear thingys and i put them and and they workd

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Odds are that it's the swtich, not the relay.

sv650andy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I know I get power to the plug that plugs into the motor, when you hit the switch either way because I tested it with a test light. But when you hit one of the window switches to roll the window down you can watch the Amp gauge drop almost all the way to 8 when I hit the switch but that doesn't happen with the others. I am officially stumped...I hate wiring!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
An '89 BII doesn't have a power window relay, at least not from the factory. Check for a break in the wires, like a previous poster suggested. It's most likely that causing your problem, followed by a bad ground, or bad switches. It's a reversal-rest-at-ground circuit; a good old test light is actually better for testing, than a meter. Good luck!

sv650andy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info everyone. I feel like an idiot now that I wasted a Saturday trying to track down something that isn't there. I guess just because Advance Auto Parts sells a relay and says there is one that it isn't the gospel. I guess I get to do some serious Wire searching this weekend.......

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 86-88 did use window up and down relays. In 89 they added two more wires to the switch base and started using the current system where instead of flipping a relay, the switch itself flips the current to the motor.

I'd have caught that one earlier, but I didn't notice your year.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals