• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stumble during start

cthudak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys,
I have an issue with my 97 Ranger 4.0 . When I start the truck when is cold, it starts fine. When it gets up to temp and I shut down, and start again after 5-10 minutes, there is a slight stumble during starting. The truck does start and runs fine, and no check eng light. Anybody have an idea what might be causing this?

Thanks for the help and the great website

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have you noticed a drop in MPG?

Could be a leaky injector or Fuel pressure regulator.
Cold engine can run richer and won't mind, and any fuel in the intake would have evaporated, O2 sensors are not online for the first 5 minutes as engine warms up.
Warm engine can't start well rich, and O2 sensors should compensate for small leak once started, so engine would run fine, just lower MPG

Fuel pressure gauge would ID this, '97 should be 35-40psi running, and not drop below 28psi with engine/key off, check it after 10 minutes of key off.
You could also pull off the air plenum(big air tube) on the intake, warmed up engine, open the throttle and smell for gas, there should be no gas smell.
When you turn off a fuel injected engine, the injectors shut down with the key, then engine stops rotating a few seconds after that, so there would be no gas/fuel in the intake it would have been sucked out by engine rotating.

Could be Coil Pack is starting to go, once it heats up it has a weaker spark, which will still fire running engine, but after shut down, while still warm it takes a few on/off triggers to get/build enough spark.

Starter motor drawing too many amp warm, do you notice it cranks slower warm?

IAC(idle air control) valve sticking closed.
On cranking/startup the IAC valve should open all the way, so RPMs should go up to 1,500, then if engine is cold RPMs will drop to about 1,100
If warm RPMs should drop to about 750.
If IAC valve isn't opening all the way on cranking, then warm engine would have Rich mix so slow to start.

That's all my guess's for now, lol.

Last edited:

rangerraider1979

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think I have this same problem in my 1994 I start mine it runs fine and then shut it off and then I go to start it again it sputters and after I hit the gas it sputters and spits untill higher rpm's and then it runs fine. So I am thinking fuel pressure also but I know the plugs and wires have not been changed for a long while for my father in law owned it and had not changed it and he got it from my wifes late grandfather who took real good care of it since he bought it in 1994 with only 2 miles on it and he put 1 mile test driving it so its been well maintained we dont know when he changed them last . So I am going to clean the plugs wires look clean. So we will see. Any other ideas.

rangerraider1979

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What about clogged cat or o2 sensor.

cthudak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for all the possible issues. I'll check each one at a time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals