• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Holy Crap, Pickup Trucks Have Gotten Expensive

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Ha, yea. This is how I feel, too.

Markup, and ridiculous restrictions on everything. Automakers see the largest profit margin with trucks / SUV's.

This is why I'll probably always buy used cars & trucks for myself; the excess and payment is not justified for me.

My wife, on the other hand, might still be seeing a dealership lot in her future for a Genesis, but it will still be a few years old as well. Research and patience is key, I think, when searching for used vehicles.

I'm just glad I don't have any notes, payments, and am in the process of paying off the last few bits of a loan from a decade ago.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is why I'll probably always buy used cars & trucks for myself; the excess and payment is not justified for me.
I would never buy new, but used isn't depreciating anymore.

In '05 I bought my '02 F-150 with 25k for $18k. 5.4, scab 4x4, 95k miles later and I still love the thing. Nothing like that exists anymore, $30k+ for anything comparable age/mileage.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Yep, guess why trucks are so expensive now...yep everyone seems to think they need a truck for a family car. They don't get used as trucks ever, people just gotta have a truck because their neighbor has one, the neighbor's neighbor has one, their mom, dad, grandma, etc. So the cost of them have gone through the roof, in many cases cost as much as a luxury car...sometimes more with all the stuff people seem to think they need to add. Add all that together plus all the electronic nannies in vehicles now, and all the nonsense emissions crap and you have yourself a rolling precious metals box.

19bonestock88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Plane travel? I'll do my flying on the ground, thanks!
Holy crap! Even just a 2wd, reg cab XL with the v8 as the only option, stickered just over $30k... Just configure yourself a platinum, they can fetch nearly $64k... And I complain about a $9000 CPO 2009 ranger, 2.3/5speed?

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's nothing.

When I bought my Ranger this spring, the dealership had a brand new fully loaded F350, diesel, leathered up, nav, every option available to mankind, enormous lift kit, LED light bars, i don't know how huge black aluminum rims and GINORMOUS mud tires, welded up and bedlinered custom bumpers front and rear, winch, etc, etc, etc, etc.

The whole truck was completely murdered out, black on black on black, tinted windows, blacked out logos, and so on....

90 grand.

ninety thousand dollars.

And they'll get every bit of that from some young, single power engineer making 250 grand per year plus up in Fort MacMurray.

19bonestock88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Plane travel? I'll do my flying on the ground, thanks!
Yeah, I'm not paying 90 large on anything with a blue oval on the grille/hood...except maybe a 05-06 GT...as in the GT40 look alike...

Just would feel wrong to have payed that large sum(for a mall crawling ford truck)knowing full well I could get an M5, E63, or RS6 for similar fundage...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I'm not paying 90 large on anything with a blue oval on the grille/hood...except maybe a 05-06 GT...as in the GT40 look alike...

Just would feel wrong to have payed that large sum(for a mall crawling ford truck)knowing full well I could get an M5, E63, or RS6 for similar fundage...
Not really apples to apples there but you could get a used single axle daycab tractor for about that neighborhood too that would hands down out tow anything the big three could throw at it.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Totally insane. I'm not saying it's not worth the money for what you get, I'm saying they don't offer a simple, cheap truck that you can use to go to the landfill, buy firewood, haul the dirtbikes to the gravel pits on the weekends and load at Menards for your projects. Pickup trucks have become something like a Pontiac Grand Prix was back in the late 60's and early 70's. For us regular people, we have to keep an ancient truck around to do chores with. I think a $300 Harbor Freight trailer is the competition. It will haul everything a $50,000 EcoBoost F150 will, and you can pull it behind a $2,500 Craigslist Focus.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think a $300 Harbor Freight trailer is the competition. It will haul everything a $50,000 EcoBoost F150 will, and you can pull it behind a $2,500 Craigslist Focus.
I tow more than I haul though...

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The price of all new vehicles has gotten scary. We sold a loaded F-450 crew cab a month or so ago with an MSRP of $69,450. Exactly $500 less than I paid for my house in 1993!

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The price of all new vehicles has gotten scary. We sold a loaded F-450 crew cab a month or so ago with an MSRP of $69,450. Exactly $500 less than I paid for my house in 1993!
Man, didn't think it could t any worse than that but I was wrong. Got a Platinum f-450 in the shop right now with an MSRP of $72, 435

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I would never buy new, but used isn't depreciating anymore.
Exactly, new is so expensive people have to get used.

I was shocked at the prices last fall when I went shopping with my daughter for a fairly basic used car. Looking at stuff 10+ years old with north of 100K miles on it was fetching almost double what the same sort of car was fetching 5 years prior when I did the same with her older sister.

I'm stuck in 90s-ville when it comes to looking at used cars.

Heck if I can keep em from rusting apart I might just stick with BIIs for myself from here on out.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
just another brilliant tax from the clunker bill.

my mini van is worth more now then when we bought it 6 years ago.

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
New cars and trucks are THE WORST value, and BIGGEST WASTE of your hard earned money out there!!! I've bought 4 new vehicles in my life; the last one being an 05' Chevy Colorado. **Stupid Mistake** I can turn a wrench; in fact I enjoy it, and it saves me more money than I can even count. Consider: 4-6 years car payments, required collision insurance, depreciation the second you drive it off the lot and by the time you're done paying for it... well, you just have a used vehicle anyway. If you have money to burn, by all means indulge, but I'll NEVER buy another new vehicle again... Period. (Unless I strike it rich) lol I'd still keep my classic "clunkers". Just love em' that much.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals