• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

After the manual swap?

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
Transmission
Manual
Seems like it runs to rich at higher speeds?

If I recall reading something about timing needing to be changed? A difference from A4ld and stick?

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
They say the timing has to be changed, but I have yet to find any direction as to how and what to change it to. (Although I haven't looked REALLY hard)...

I just switched in the FM146 for the busted A4LD, put in the 10" clutch and I love it so far, but it does idle high and has no top end power for the most part. I have to wail on it to get it up to highway speed.

As soon as you hear anything, let me know. I'm subscribing to this thread.

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey Lost Bushman, not to jack the thread CarsonChris lol but... I just picked up an 89 Bronco II with a busted A4LD, and wanted to do the very same swap. I've read all the posts I can find on it, did you have any problems with it worth mentioning? Would you mind sharing a little of how your 89 swap went? Thanks.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So as not to jack the thread...

It's pretty easy, but I had ZERO physical help, so it kinda sucked for me. I'm glad that it's over now and everything is done. The only advice I can give is do your research and line up all the RIGHT parts first. Also, KEEP THE SHORTING BLOCK THAT COMES FROM THE CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER HARNESS.

I followed the re-wire directions to the letter, but it's still glitchy. So I just put the shorting block back in, because I always step on the clutch first anyway.

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice thanks for the advice. Time for more researching parts!

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I also recommend doing the 4.0 clutch swap while your at it. Costs a little more, but it grabs like an angry dog. The parts and instructions for that are in the tech section.

Sent from my Casio G'zOne Commando 4G, it's the John Connor of Smartphones. You cannot kill it...

Using Tapatalk.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
And CarsonChris, I've been asking around and everything I seem to find says 10 BTDC

Sent from my Casio G'zOne Commando 4G, it's the John Connor of Smartphones. You cannot kill it...

Using Tapatalk.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals