• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fix the 84 engine or buy the 88

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
+1 shran. Your truck seems to be in great condition. You are familiar with it, and all of its problems. It's a chance either way. Was the 2.8 rebuilt professionally, or personally?

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
One thing I may have left out about the 88 is that it is black on the top and uh pinkish on the bottom. And that's all I'm gonna say about that.

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
That's one clean looking '84 :icon_thumby:
At least with the '84 you know what you have. If it was me I'd swap in a 302 V8.

B2 Addict

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
37x12.50-17
Wow, I'm breaking a sweat trying to figure this one out.........I admit being a little partial to the 2.8. but it plays no part in my decision......I have owned my '84 B2 for almost 17 yrs & I have owned a lot of '84s & '85s consisting of both B2s & Rangers. The 2.8 is an awesome engine & the '84 you have is SWEEET!!!!!! :drool:

IMHO, If you will have to sell the '84 to get the '88, I would fix the '84! Although, I would gladly give you $300 for your '84, the way it sits, if you were closer!!

Anyway, you do not know exactly what you are getting in the long run with either the engine or the other B2, but with money being an issue, I would go the '84 route. I think you will come out better in the long run.....just my 2 cents worth. I would definitely throw a bunch of questions to the guy with the "rebuilt" 2.8 for $250 though...............Good luck either way!

:icon_cheers:
B2

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Please don't hate on me too much. The Toyota is electric.

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Wow, I'm breaking a sweat trying to figure this one out.........I admit being a little partial to the 2.8. but it plays no part in my decision......I have owned my '84 B2 for almost 17 yrs & I have owned a lot of '84s & '85s consisting of both B2s & Rangers. The 2.8 is an awesome engine & the '84 you have is SWEEET!!!!!! :drool:

IMHO, If you will have to sell the '84 to get the '88, I would fix the '84! Although, I would gladly give you $300 for your '84, the way it sits, if you were closer!!

Anyway, you do not know exactly what you are getting in the long run with either the engine or the other B2, but with money being an issue, I would go the '84 route. I think you will come out better in the long run.....just my 2 cents worth. I would definitely throw a bunch of questions to the guy with the "rebuilt" 2.8 for $250 though...............Good luck either way!

:icon_cheers:
B2
Very good advice:icon_thumby:

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I appreciate all the suggestions. As a result I am having the 88 towed home tomorrow. I may have to get a flex plate on Ebay since the local guy didn't have one after all. Once it's running I'll have a better idea which is the better rig. I may swap a few things between them. As per my wife, one of the Broncos will have to go very soon.

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Home at last, moss and all!

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
How is the oil pressure on the 2.8. Are you sure it is a main bearing and how did you determine that. Take a long screwdriver and and set it next to all the bearings under the hood and put you ear on the handle (a stethescope). Alternator, power steering, water pump, A/C, air pump, alot of things can make the noise you describe I would diagnose it some more before selling it or pulling the motor. If it dont make the noise at high rpms in neutral or park I would lean toward tranny or rear axle.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I'm having a tough time deciding what to do. On one hand: The 84 I recently bought with a 2.8 auto runs great and I really like it but it sounds like the main bearings are shot. A local guy has a rebuilt 2.8 engine for $250. My Bronco II has manual hubs, transfer case, windows, locks etc. On the other hand I can buy an 88 Bronco II Eddie B, auto with 140k miles for $300 that needs a flex plate to get it running. The plus sides for me are the 2.9 FI and the overdrive and AC for the hot summers here. It has power everything including hubs and transfer case. I am driving it every day and the bearing noise is barely noticeable around town but not so good on the highway. Wife just got laid off so I can't afford to spend much and can't keep both. What would you do?
Why can`t I find a 88 B-II for $300. :thefinger:

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It also makes the noise in park and the oil pressure when warm is very low at an idle. I thought about installing the $250 engine but I don't see me getting more than $5-600 when running good. For instance, here's an 86 for $700 http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/2047212841.html

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It took me a week but we got the 88 running. It runs great too. So far I've got $300 into the Bronco, $58 for the flexplate, $30 for the crankshaft to torque converter spacer (it was cracked), a rear main seal and torque converter seal. Still have more to do but so far so good. The paint is buffing out really easy considering it has been sitting since at least 2004. I took a chance but I think I may have lucked out. Thanks for all the good wishes.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Great to hear the 88 is working out. FI is a plus, but my little 2.8 was good to me while I had it. Keep us updated on the status of both B2's

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals