• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 tlc

BrutalPanda

Reaction score
Getting ready to freshen up my 2.9 from an 89 ranger. Technician done/guided. All new gaskets, mains, timing set, rod bearings, M-328 high volume oil pump, clutch and headers. Im going to gasket match the upper to lower intake, and the lower to the head. I've got the bigger throttle body on my 86 (I believe) and am staying with 235's and 3.73's. I've looked into the rocker mod and can't find much so I'm not going that far as of right now, just going to clean my rocker arms. I'm looking at a MAF conversion after all this work is done. Anybody have any experience with this? I don't want to do it unless I know it will help along with the "extra flow" I'm getting. Thought about 5.0 injectors as well, but would MAF and increased flowing abilities really warrant for 19lb injectors or should I just give mine a good cleaning? Ive already got a pile of parts coming, will probably pull motor and start tearing down in the next couple weeks. Im really just looking for any extra tips or tricks I could use along the way to pick up an extra horse or two, increase some mpg, or extend my motors life. Bowl work? Underdrive pulley? Electric fan? Jet chip? Throttle body spacer? Anybody with experience on this motor, even just a butt dyno will help. I've already gone against every forums judgment on not spending money on this motor (and the chassis around it). But it's reliable, gets decent gas milage, and it works hard. My old truck deserves it.

136k (towed behind RV a lot)
Good ole lifter tick
Knocks
Intake gasket leak
Rear main leak
Bad clutch
Repaired frame rot/body mounts
Rusty but trusty

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BrutalPanda

Reaction score
Got it broke down to rod bearings, they were .10 over ford bearings. Pulling other motor to see if the 86 block is in better shape. Parting out a 86 ext cab 2.9 message me for parts.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
First off, i wouldnt waste money on a chip. On the older cpus they dont do much. The underdrive pulleys are up to you, but keep in mind your accesorys will spin slower. An electric fan will never pull the CFM a factory clutch style one will, and on a 2.9 the cooler the better.

Cant help ya much with the MAF swap.

Honestly though, id just do a good factory style stock rebuild and call it a day. A good running 2.9 is nothing to shake a stick at, and in my opinion a close second only to the 4.0, which, also in my opinion isnt the pissed off little bastard the 2.9 is.

But, atleast youre not following the crowd and just jamming in a 4.0.

BrutalPanda

Reaction score
First off, i wouldnt waste money on a chip. On the older cpus they dont do much. The underdrive pulleys are up to you, but keep in mind your accesorys will spin slower. An electric fan will never pull the CFM a factory clutch style one will, and on a 2.9 the cooler the better.

Cant help ya much with the MAF swap.

Honestly though, id just do a good factory style stock rebuild and call it a day. A good running 2.9 is nothing to shake a stick at, and in my opinion a close second only to the 4.0, which, also in my opinion isnt the pissed off little bastard the 2.9 is.

But, atleast youre not following the crowd and just jamming in a 4.0.
I've pretty much done factory rebuild and beyond. Im tearing down my other 2.9 and combining the two and getting rid of the truck. I've read and heard from another 2.9 lover in my town the older blocks crank some more horsepower.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I've pretty much done factory rebuild and beyond. Im tearing down my other 2.9 and combining the two and getting rid of the truck. I've read and heard from another 2.9 lover in my town the older blocks crank some more horsepower.

All 2.9s were rated (in my opinion, conservatively) at 140hp/170ftlbs. The 86-87s had a 58mm TB compared to a 50mm on 88-92s, but according to ford they were still 140hp. It does seem like the early ones had a bit more snap to them.

The euro ones in the merkurs were up around 160 IIRC, but im not sure what set them apart from the US 2.9s (except the DOHC Cosworth versions). Im guessing they cammed them for a bit more midrange torque.

BrutalPanda

Reaction score
All 2.9s were rated (in my opinion, conservatively) at 140hp/170ftlbs. The 86-87s had a 58mm TB compared to a 50mm on 88-92s, but according to ford they were still 140hp. It does seem like the early ones had a bit more snap to them.

The euro ones in the merkurs were up around 160 IIRC, but im not sure what set them apart from the US 2.9s (except the DOHC Cosworth versions). Im guessing they cammed them for a bit more midrange torque.
How I've been told is the 86-87 block has a .020 shorter deck height. Which raised compression by as much as .3

truckerdawg

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31X10.50
I have done 2 2.9's and 4.0 swap/build. I still do not know much. But let me add you do not need larger injectors- the 4 hole bosch will work though. Can be found on ebay refurbished in the 14lb size-Ford 6 to a set pretty cheap. I have done the 2.8 flat tops in one of the 2.9 motors with a big cam. A lot of bad info on that can be found-people who guess but do not measure. The solid lifter conversion of the lifters is good- you are not running a radical cam that cannot take the solid lifter design on a hydraulic cam-this is to get rid of that infernal/internal lifter tick (whichever you want to call it). Choose the 86 block if possible. No need for Maf work. No chip- no such thing really. Check the header flanges for flatness-need to be perfect all the way across. Have them milled at your machine shop if not. You will not be happy if you skip this! Hope a new water pump is included. No TB spacer.

BrutalPanda

Reaction score
I have done 2 2.9's and 4.0 swap/build. I still do not know much. But let me add you do not need larger injectors- the 4 hole bosch will work though. Can be found on ebay refurbished in the 14lb size-Ford 6 to a set pretty cheap. I have done the 2.8 flat tops in one of the 2.9 motors with a big cam. A lot of bad info on that can be found-people who guess but do not measure. The solid lifter conversion of the lifters is good- you are not running a radical cam that cannot take the solid lifter design on a hydraulic cam-this is to get rid of that infernal/internal lifter tick (whichever you want to call it). Choose the 86 block if possible. No need for Maf work. No chip- no such thing really. Check the header flanges for flatness-need to be perfect all the way across. Have them milled at your machine shop if not. You will not be happy if you skip this! Hope a new water pump is included. No TB spacer.
Water pump, fan clutch and harmonic balancer are all being done. The 86 block will be used more likely than not. I will look into the flanges and injectors tommorrow. Appreciate any input

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
How I've been told is the 86-87 block has a .020 shorter deck height. Which raised compression by as much as .3

Ive been on these forums for 16 years and have never heard that. Not saying its not true, but now im curious.

BrutalPanda

Reaction score
Ive been on these forums for 16 years and have never heard that. Not saying its not true, but now im curious.
I also believe that this block, bosch jetronic fuel injection and a better manifold is what made that extra 20 horse for Europe.

BrutalPanda

Reaction score
The 86 ended up having a newer motor put in it. I don't have my preferred block, but i now have two pair or the 89TM heads.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You wouldnt happen to have a good A/C compressor/clutch youd let go cheap do ya?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

BrutalPanda

Reaction score
Motor is put together, everything fit rather well. Putting back into the truck tommorrow. Passenger side motor mount sucks, had to jack it up to lower beam to have one ratchet click of space. Franken 2.9 looks 10x better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals