• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Ranger 4x4 locking front hubs

TheOldRanger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just bought a 1987 Ranger 4x4 with manual locking hubs that I am working to get back on the road. The hubs came off with the wheels when I took them off to inspect the wheel bearings. The Haynes Repair Manual shows a "retainer washer" for one lug bolt on the outside of the hub. Does anyone have any informations on what that is/was in the original production?

Thanks!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Basically it's a thin spring type washer that goes over one stud to prevent the hub from coming off with the tire. They can be a pain to re-install so they get "lost". Not a big deal, just put the hub back on. If it doesn't want to go on easily then rotate it one stud and try again. Repeat as necessary.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The retainer washer might show in the Haynes manual, but its intended purpose was for factory assembly only. Brake drums get them too, they keep the piece from falling off while the vehicle is on the assembly conveyor. They are almost impossible to remove without destroying them, which is probably what happened to it.

Like Floored said, just put the hub back on. If it doesn't go nicely you can turn it one stud at a time until it does, or if you get the holes lined up you can just spin the hub until it drops. Also, get good at slapping it back on there (not that it's hard) because the hub is going to come off with the wheel pretty much every time.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Holy cow! I've never actually seen one of those. Makes me think that those hubs haven't been off in a really long time, or maybe never.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why do three? Wouldn't one work as the studs would hold once the wheel is on.
It might break the flange of the hub if the screw was to the bottom and the weight of the wheel came down on the outside of the hub.

Mine are just on there loose, they generally stay put if you support the wheel as it comes off the truck.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It might break the flange of the hub if the screw was to the bottom and the weight of the wheel came down on the outside of the hub.
This.

One time I posted that link, someone chided me for not using five screws :rolleyes:

That always seemed like a lot of work for very little benefit.
Well, if you don't mind dirt & grit getting into your bearings each time you take the wheel off (and then the possibility of having to replace the O-ring after it got pinched between the hub & rotor because the hub was shifting around as you're trying to put the wheel back on, forget about the grease now showing up all over your wheels due to the broken O-ring, too), then yeah I guess there wouldn't be much benefit to this mod that takes about 15 minutes to do after the wheel is off.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, if you don't mind dirt & grit getting into your bearings each time you take the wheel off (and then the possibility of having to replace the O-ring after it got pinched between the hub & rotor because the hub was shifting around as you're trying to put the wheel back on, forget about the grease now showing up all over your wheels due to the broken O-ring, too), then yeah I guess there wouldn't be much benefit to this mod that takes about 15 minutes to do after the wheel is off.
I have been driving my truck for 17 years, doing all my own work. I have yet to experience any of these ill effects you have listed. Then again, I pretty much know from the moment I crack the first lug nut that the hub is coming off too and land the wheel accordingly, rather than let it go so that the hub is going to land grease side down the grass.

Also, I don't put the hub back on with the wheel. I take it out of the wheel and put it on by itself and then place the wheel over it. The mod might only take 15 minutes, but I have less time than that tied up in just putting my hub back on the truck over the course of the last 10 years, which represents at least two sets of rotors.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I have been driving my truck for 17 years, doing all my own work. I have yet to experience any of these ill effects you have listed. Then again, I pretty much know from the moment I crack the first lug nut that the hub is coming off too and land the wheel accordingly, rather than let it go so that the hub is going to land grease side down the grass.

Also, I don't put the hub back on with the wheel. I take it out of the wheel and put it on by itself and then place the wheel over it. The mod might only take 15 minutes, but I have less time than that tied up in just putting my hub back on the truck over the course of the last 10 years, which represents at least two sets of rotors.
No one is forcing you to do the mod.

I simply prefer to be able to take the wheel on & off like you would on any other vehicle without having to worry about the locking hubs falling off (and it sounds like that is what the OP wants as well).

I've seen my fair share of split O-rings on trucks with hubs loose, most likely because their owners weren't familiar with this issue at first and were just slapping it back on there carelessly. With the hub attached, the O-rings are in no danger of coming out of place and getting damaged.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I went for years without the mod on my f150 and initially on my Ranger. Never had a problem. But when I heard about the mod, I did it and I find it handy. It's completely a matter of personal preference. The big o-rings can be ordered from McMaster-carr. Just a few dollars for a lifetime supply.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The hubs on my 84 B2 and my 88 B2 weren't attached either. Never bothered me sliding the hub back on after removing the wheel. I guess if you had to take the wheels off several times a day it may be worth doing that mod, but for the occasional removal and install I don't see it really being much of an issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals