• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broken ignition switch in my '86

dfeeney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK Ranger Folk:

Today I got the key housing/shaft out - it did involve removing the steering wheel, but now I know how to do it. What an involved mess, though.

Anyway, the broken part is this thing, called the actuator. What I thought was three pieces:

is just one:

The broken teeth are what was causing the gear connected to the lock cylinder to not engage:

You can see the teeth inside that groove; they rotate with the key.

So I ordered the new actuator at Go Ford in Wheat Ridge ($17); it'll be here Tuesday. The worst part is that all these moving parts have a nice coating of white grease on them and it is very messy!

I guess I could have fixed this without removing the steering wheel and the key housing/shaft, but I wouldn't have been able to figure it out without looking at it up close. Live and learn!
Do any of yall know how to take the key housing shaft out on the tilt steering wheel? Its not being my friend

greenrangerdanger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have this same problem in a 96 ranger I wonder if its about the same to fix... I've got the switch unhooked and for now I'm just operated it by hand under the dash I'm contemplating wheter to fix the actuator or just hook up a couple toggle switches and a push button

Sr. Zorro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi. I am also having trouble pulling the housing off the steering shaft. I removed the circlip, but now the bearing keeps the housing from being pulled out. Does anyone know how to remove the bearing (without damaging the rubber "ring")?

Last edited:

rm41sr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ignition actuator

How did you remove the housing shaft? A piece from my actuator in stuck in the shaft.
OK Ranger Folk:

Today I got the key housing/shaft out - it did involve removing the steering wheel, but now I know how to do it. What an involved mess, though.

Anyway, the broken part is this thing, called the actuator. What I thought was three pieces:

is just one:

The broken teeth are what was causing the gear connected to the lock cylinder to not engage:

You can see the teeth inside that groove; they rotate with the key.

So I ordered the new actuator at Go Ford in Wheat Ridge ($17); it'll be here Tuesday. The worst part is that all these moving parts have a nice coating of white grease on them and it is very messy!

I guess I could have fixed this without removing the steering wheel and the key housing/shaft, but I wouldn't have been able to figure it out without looking at it up close. Live and learn!

jtaborsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
32's
My credo
Break. Upgrade. Repeat.
How can this be done without removing the steering wheel?

mikie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1985
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How did you remove the old switch?

jtaborsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
32's
My credo
Break. Upgrade. Repeat.
How did you remove the old switch?
I figured it out and replaced my rack and pinion for the ignition. Which part are you trying to get out? There's the cylinder that the key goes in, there's the linkage or actuator that connects the key to the switch, and there's the switch that actually makes electrical connections.

- Joe

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals