• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Custom wiring

Lpaulk92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone, I have a 97 Ford Ranger and would like to have a little more travel in between fill ups. So I have been looking into fuel cells when my fiance asked me what my plans were for a 96 blazer in my backyard. Then I realized, the blazer has a 18 gal tank under it that isn't going to do anything besides sit there. So my question is would it be possible to wire in the tanks sending unit as a aux tank to my ranger? Would like the gas gauge to operate on both tanks to. I appreciate any help possible. Thanks in advance.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Yeah sort of like the 3/4 and 1 ton fords of that era. Look up a wiring diagram for those rigs, my dads truck had that and when hed switch tanks the gas gauge would shoot back up worked nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lpaulk92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
sweet. ok thank you. :)

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes and no.

Yes, you can wire and plumb in the blazer tank as an auxiliary, either refilling the main tank or feeding the engine. Might take a little work, I've got no idea how the Chevy tank is set up. Return or returnless and fuel pressures you'll have to figure out.

No, it will not work with your gas guage. The resistance ranges that Ford and Chevy use to indicate full and empty are different. Connected to the Chevy sender the Ford gauge would probably never register over half full, and you'd be refilling it around half tank.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
One of the reasons you don't see dual tanks that often on newer vehicles is the EVAP system required for passing emissions tests.

Even if your area doesn't do the tests the computer will still turn on CEL if it gets messed up.

You can certainly install another tank and an electric or manual control, '97 has Return Line, so you need a 6 port switch, 2 for each tank and 2 to engine.

The tank switch is just 12volt ON or 12v OFF for the 2 positions

The electric dash mounted switch can control the gauge change and send the 12volts to tank switch, but you need one made to do that.

Yes, as said above you will need a Ford sender, from 1989 and up.
'97 needed 35-40psi from fuel pump

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals