• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's the biggest towed?

High Desert Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What's the biggest thing everyone has towed with their RBV's? <<<And I'm not talking anything about any full size truck or big trucks.

Pictures please.

(Hmmm....First post ever in a new forum, Yeah me)

jv982

Reaction score
Im sure plenty of people have towed larger things than this, but I towed home a 1971 Chevelle on a U-Haul trailer from St. Louis all the way to Atlanta behind my ranger.

No pics sorry.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
I don't see a point in towing 'heavy' loads with a Ranger. I have two full-size trucks with the appropriate drivetrain, weight, and most importantly, adequately-sized brakes for doing so in a safe and reliably manor.

:icon_cheers:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The heaviest thing I have pulled with my Ranger is my dad's 18' car trailer empty, it didn't really like it. The heaviest in the bed would probably be my 289 and C-4 tranny at the same time.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I don't see a point in towing 'heavy' loads with a Ranger. I have two full-size trucks with the appropriate drivetrain, weight, and most importantly, adequately-sized brakes for doing so in a safe and reliably manor.

:icon_cheers:

yep........ seen to many stupid people towing too much load with not enough brakes......... that being said ................ I towed my Neon SRT-4 behind my explorer bringing it home from the dealership (had to tow my taurus to the dealership, Teffie couldn't drive a 5spd, or tow the trailer behind the explorer).........

also towed a jeep J-10 on a trailer behind my Explorer 35 miles, avoided the freeway at all costs.......... but I am no ordinary stupid people ...... I tow heavy loads for a living and know how to stay well with in my limits

jmzneal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 and 2007
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I haul a speaker box 2 20lbs subs 2 big amps 2 extra batts every day...it's only about 300 lbs but for a 2.3 4banger it's enough to bog it down up big hills and stuff.

I hauled a leather couch and love seat yesterday in my 07 stx...my new babies First load :D LOL

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I towed a 29' travel trailer with my 2001 Ranger

Biggest thing with the B2 is a 18' bassboat. Well unless you count dragging stuff because then it would be a 31' travel trailer. Had to drag it sideways. Anyone smell clutch????

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
2900lbs in a single axle enclosed trailer + 200lbs fiberglass topper + 2-300lbs extra gear in the bed. took this about 2700 miles from alaska to washington

in the bed would be a 2,000lbs 1896 (if memory serves) upright piano. took that about 2 miles at VERY low speed (extremely top heavy).

have also flat-towed an '86, 2.9, 4x4 about 50 miles

i once dragged a huge spool of 1/4 galvanized steel across a a guys lot (500' maybe?). at the time i was under the impression that it only weighed 1-2,000lbs. after i moved it i was talking to the guy that owned it and he said it was closer to 5,000.

Martinnyc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
8500 lbs of combined scrap metal/equipment trailer. They didn't believe me at the scrap yard, when my truck, trailer and load tipped the scales at 12,000 lbs. The 4.0 got it's ass handed to it that day, and the brakes, HA...yeah, coasting to a stop was the only way. Thankfully it was only 2 miles or so, but it was deffinately interesting, and I'll never do it again...
sadly, i don't have a picture of that.
however i do have one of an old fullsize blazer loaded to the roof with scrap metal. If memory serves me correctly, it weighed in at 7200 lbs.

years ago when i had my 2.3 ranger, i towed a 94 v-8 t-bird on a tow dolly about 20 miles, mostly in stop and go traffic...toasted the clutch.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Well, my sisters Audi 5000S broke down, and the Bronco was down for repairs, so I latched the trailer I made onto the back of my ranger and went and got it.
This was all on flat ground.

Then unloading it, I rolled down the ramps a little fast and ripped the front bumper off! Hey, they said they wanted to part it out, I was just starting the process.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ive filled the bed to the top full of wettish sand one time... totally trashed the springs. Other than that ive hauled alot of hay in it usually around a ton to a ton and a half... steers real nice, but pray you dont have to stop, and be prepared to use the e-brake. As far as towing the worst ive done is TRY to pull my 77 F-100 4x4, w/ 460, and a spare 460, c-6, 205, d-44, and 9"............ i said try, cuz i made it about 20 miles and FRIED the tranny (FM-145) totally thrashed the main shaft. But i was kinda hoping it would... secretly i was hoping for a reason to do my drivetrain swap, which im currently immersed in.

BTW: I realize those things above mentioned were stupid and dangerous, but all done on back country roads (NO traffic) and i am no novice at doing stupid things, and i do not suggest anyone try it.... my truck was free, so i didnt really care what happened to it.

ZSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
...and i am no novice at doing stupid things...
:icon_bounceblue: That's awesome. A professional at doing stupid things. You've made my day a little better.:icon_thumby:

Do we work together? Because that statement describes many people that I have to put up with everyday.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
not much with my current ranger, just a 6x10 V-nose haulmark trailer, it weighs about 1,000 pnds empty, ive probly had close to 800 in it. my '88 ranger flat-towed a dead chevy astro van home 15 miles once.
________
Lincoln-Zephyr V12 engine

Last edited:

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I pulled a cavalier on WAY oversized 2 axle car trailer about 20 miles on time, get part was getting a run at the hill right before the house it was going too...

I once hauled a bed full of topsoil in my old 87 ext. cab 2.3 ranger, that sucked big time. again, probably 20 miles or so....

Good thing I'm used to pulling weight at work...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_bounceblue: That's awesome. A professional at doing stupid things. You've made my day a little better.:icon_thumby:

Do we work together? Because that statement describes many people that I have to put up with everyday.
I didnt really mean it like that :rolleyes:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals