• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

can't seem to figure this out REAR SWAP

marksgirl98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok so i did a little research in the tech library and I know that there are some differences with a bronco II rear and a ranger rear but here is my question:

i'm looking to buy the bf a 1987 6 cyl 5 speed bronco ii for xmas...it needs a rear and his brother happens to have an 87 ranger 6 cyl 5 speed. The ranger is 2wd and the b2 is 4 wd... can i simply swap the rears and will it be a simple bolt up job..or i read that the axles were different... i am not understanding what exactly can be done. any help is appreciated thanks in advance.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did a swap from a '87 ranger to a '85 b-II. The spring perchs on the axle are one inch per side different, a total of two inches. IIRC the springs on the b-Ii are two inches farther apart than on the ranger. I made a plate that sandwiched between the perch and spring, check post #10 and #15;
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98389
The plate was welded to the perch.
Good luck,

Richard

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
One other thing I forgot to mention is the rear from the '87 Ranger is narrower than the '85 b-II by about two inches, my tires [31-8.50x15" Baja claw] rub on the inner wheel-well sometimes. Especially off camber and hard cornering.

Richard

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dont forget about rear end gear ratios too! if the 2wd ranger gears are different than the bII's front gears the 4x4 wont work...

Catch22556

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
ok so i did a little research in the tech library and I know that there are some differences with a bronco II rear and a ranger rear but here is my question:

i'm looking to buy the bf a 1987 6 cyl 5 speed bronco ii for xmas...it needs a rear and his brother happens to have an 87 ranger 6 cyl 5 speed. The ranger is 2wd and the b2 is 4 wd... can i simply swap the rears and will it be a simple bolt up job..or i read that the axles were different... i am not understanding what exactly can be done. any help is appreciated thanks in advance.
I would just hit up a Junkyard and find a replacement 7.5 and slap it in there if you're on a budget. Just make sure the gear ratios match. You should be able to pick up a used 7.5 for less then $100. Try local Junkyards or search around on Craigslist for people parting out B2's. My $0.02.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals