• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PlumCrazy's F-1Fiddy Build

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Small update. The lowering shackles turned out to be a disaster...they were too long, so I shortened them up, then found they were too wide, then found the bed support to be in the way and on shackle bolt stuck....so I bailed.lol

Ill just hold off until I get the front down 2" and then flip the rear axle for a nice level look.

I went out to Carlisle and and had a blast this past weekend.

Few road shots from the drive out with 036speed

while I was there I picked up a few items on my shopping list.

92-97 8 lug beams and big brakes for my 8 lug swap. Rotors, pads, calipers, balljoints are are in great shape, so basically just bolt in and go once I get a decent set of 8 lug Alcoas. He also gave me the steering linkage and sway bar. All the joints are Moog and the radius arm brackets are OEM Ford

I plan to go lowering beams eventually...but I may try running these stock 8 lug beams, 1/2 ton coils and no spacer/sway bar mount...this should get me down ~ 2" up front and still be able to get camber in spec....with 2" up front I can drop the rear 6" (via axle flip) and sit about level (tires just inside the fender well) Id like to get a little rake so that's where 3" beams would be nice. When I go beams, I plan to use the stiffer 250 (PSD) coils to stiffen up the front.

I would like to figure out a helper spring setup or bags out back to help when loaded with a trailer...When I have the bed off for paint I may build a gooseneck hitch so I can build a light duty goose trailer in the future.

Also pickup up a nice crack free set of 5.0 manifolds, just one stud froze in the y pipe flange to deal with.

Not related to this build..but I bought a lightly used JD2 tube bender as well. Has 1" dies with it, but Id like to get few larger setups as well.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Like most of my projects...this one isn't moving too fast either.

I did finally get my OEM driver fender from my southern supplier...

Hoping to get the front clip on and the new bed on in time for paint this year..

I have been putting the old truck to work this year though. The ZF and hydroboost making hauling grain with a half ton almost more enjoyable than the F350

Drug 10 or so loads up with it to keep things moving this year..Dad and I both work until 5pm and the grain terminal is only open until 7pm, so we have to hurry home and hope to yank 2 loads each in before 7 so that we can run the combine for a few hours each week night.

My copilot was keeping me company in the Chevy too..

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Havent been turning wrenches much on the trucks..but I did talk to my paint guy today. Plan to hang the new panels/bed by the end of the year and drag it down to him.

Also...these showed up last week.

The ole girl is getting old. Rolled the big 100K last week. Turns 30 years old next year....saw 60K in 27 years...and 42 in the last two.lol

Current plan...hang panels, send in for paint, bolt up the drop beams, swap in the 8 lug 8.8 and flip the perches, then drop it off for tint....Id like to be done by next summer.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is a darn nice truck. I love the 80-86 bodystyle, probably my favorite Ford body. Dad had a '80 F-350 4x4 SRW, it was a cool truck. It was closing in on its third "big 100" when he sent it down the road though. :bawling:

It needed cab corners, rocker panels, an engine and a clutch, otherwise she was good to go. :D

He replaced it with a '96 2wd 460 truck with the ZF5. Originally had 3.55's but the rear was ran out of oil before we got it so we regeared it to 4.10's since its main purpose is to pull a gooseneck. Still has kinda wonky gearing, first is way low, second is too high and reverse is still plenty fast. At least it has OD though, the T-18 in the '80 really needed that one extra gear. The '80 had 4.10's as well but could comfortably start out in second unloaded.

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
My ZF5 and 3.08s is a great setup for daily driving..especially for monthly OH to NY trips....but I plan to regear to make it little more trailer friendly. I have 4.10s, 3.73s, and 3.55s to choose from. Leaning towards 3.55s for now.

Sent from XT1030 using Crapatalk

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Man that's a nice truck.

I am super jealous of the bender. I really need to just buy one already.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You people need to tell me when you are gonna be in Carlisle!!!

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
You people need to tell me when you are gonna be in Carlisle!!!
Ill be there for the Truck Nats next year again....as will 036speed and OneBadEx I assume. Thinking Ill hit the all Ford show next year as well.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, I usually make the Ford show, but I was out of town that weekend this year, and I'm hit or miss on the others, but I just moved back into that area and live like 8 miles from the fair grounds now.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Made some progress this weekend.

Stripped down the mint core support I scored way back.

PORed it

Wire wheeled, PORed, and undercoated the new bed, swapped it out for the one on the truck. I left all the trim, bumper, and tailgate hardware off for paint.

The worst part about pulling the old bed was cleaning out the toolbox so we could lift it....lol

Put the abandoned F250 chassis to good use.lol

tore the front clip off to swap out the rotted core support.

bolted up the new rust and damage free fenders.

cleaned out all of the pine needles plugging the cowl drains

And gave the Dingo a new bed...

Early Christmas present from the Mrs....NOS front wheel moldings. Still need a pair for the rear, and not certain if I will like them when its all done or not.

Also drove out to OneBadEx's place and brought home this turd nugget for a new DD.

BTW..PA has bridges with 6' 6" clearance...

Replaced the nasty headlights, and mounted up my my old CRX snow tries on some cheapy wheels from Sloth69Mustang. Also picked up a blown out XL bench for the Ranger to work on rebuilding. I cant stand the Expo buckets that are in this thing... no room to move, especially when there are two people and a dog in there.lol

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Made some progress this weekend.

BTW..PA has bridges with 6' 6" clearance...
I know where that bridge is... Why on earth did you take this route to Nick's??? :icon_rofl:

Never saw this build thread. I remembered you had the C4 when I saw this think up at West Co. That ZF-5 has to be one hell of an improvement :icon_thumby:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I know where that bridge is... Why on earth did you take this route to Nick's??? :icon_rofl:

Never saw this build thread. I remembered you had the C4 when I saw this think up at West Co. That ZF-5 has to be one hell of an improvement :icon_thumby:
I took 70 to the 31(?) exit, it made me go around like eighteen loops and turns..then put me on a little windy road with a 6' 6" bridge. I skipped that road on my way home and popped out at the 70/31(?) exit from a different angle.lol I fit just fine empty, but loaded was going to be an NG situation.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Pulled the lights, handles, trim, etc. and hauled the turd off to the scrap yard....

Just kidding. Dropped the truck off at the body shop. Next time it sees daylight it will be sporting a brand new dark blue metallic coat.

Sandblasted, painted, and cleared the tailgate hardware.

I dropped the truck off with a rear roll pan to get it painted....still not sure if I actually want to ditch the bumper though...but figured Id get it painted now anyway.

The new DD got some love too. Timing belt, plugs, wires, T-stat, and new fluids.

I think the belt was ready.....30K ago.lol

Also made some badass mud flaps since the brackets were already there with no flaps.

Also scored some Husky Liners from Santa!

I swapped out the cluster for one with a tach and swapped the HVAC panel, headlight switch, etc to green as well. I am looking for a Stock radio that lights up green. It has to be the older style plugs on the back...PM me if you think you have one an we can discuss.

I have a few stock Ford double dins, but they had "Premium Sound" so the connections are way different on the back.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Picked up a rollpan for the 150..im going to have it painted now, but not sure if ill end up using it or not.

Got to few teaser pics too. Color looks different in person. It is a very close match to the factory blue, just a little more flake.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals