• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 engine swap starting problems

Nikgt500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A few weeks ago I swapped a normal 3.0 engine out of an 01 4wd ranger into a 1999 3.0 Flex Fuel ford ranger 4wd. All of it went great and got it all finished and it cranked right up and ran fine, just a few adjustments here and there. A few days later I crank it up and move it to mow the lawn and when I finished it wouldn't start. I've replaced the injectors, fuel pressure regulator cleaned the fuel rail and many other things, but nothing has worked. The symptoms I'm getting are it will turn over but simply won't crank, the only code I have received it the code for the flex fuel sensor so I changed the computer and nothing has worked. I've tested the fuel pressure and with the key on the highest it will go is to 50 psi no higher there is also fuel getting into the oil. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Do the 50/50 test
Remove air tube on intake manifold, open throttle and spray some gasoline, Ether(Quick Start), or Carb Cleaner into the intake
Then try to start engine

If it starts and dies then fuel is the problem
If it doesn't start then Spark is the problem
50/50

50psi is enough pressure to start engine, 60-70psi is spec, but it will start even down to 20-30psi

Fuel in the oil can just be because there is no spark(no start), unburned fuel from cranking engine runs down past the rings and gets into the oil pan.

Check coil pack, make sure 4 wire connector is plugged in

Check engine fuse box, there are a few fuse that can cause a no start.
Pull out each fuse and test it with an OHM meter
Looking at it from the top won't tell you if it is OK, so pull each and check it

Nikgt500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
50/50 test update

Welcome to TRS :)

Do the 50/50 test
Remove air tube on intake manifold, open throttle and spray some gasoline, Ether(Quick Start), or Carb Cleaner into the intake
Then try to start engine

If it starts and dies then fuel is the problem
If it doesn't start then Spark is the problem
50/50

50psi is enough pressure to start engine, 60-70psi is spec, but it will start even down to 20-30psi

Fuel in the oil can just be because there is no spark(no start), unburned fuel from cranking engine runs down past the rings and gets into the oil pan.

Check coil pack, make sure 4 wire connector is plugged in

Check engine fuse box, there are a few fuse that can cause a no start.
Pull out each fuse and test it with an OHM meter
Looking at it from the top won't tell you if it is OK, so pull each and check it
We did the 50/50 test, and it ran on eythr, then we tested and outside injector that was not attached to the engine, it seemed to function fine so we decided to hook that same injector to the wiring on the truck and then it didn't work, any ideas? We tested for 12 volts and it was there, we then tested the pcm ground and it was not there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals