• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

So I'm Stumped?!?!?

stevealvey24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here goes, I have a 1986 Ranger and I'm having trouble with sputtering and stalling at idle and sometimes throughout rpm range. It has new vehicle speed sensor, fuel pumps, sending unit, o2 sensor, plugs, plug wires, coil, distributor, tfi module, tps, fuel pump relay. I have a fuel pressure gauge on it and it holds 40 lbs going down the road but it bleeds off kinda quick when its just primed. Also it died the other day, i left it in drive and it picked back up in like 100 feet. I watched the tach when this happened and it jumped up to like 300-500 while rolling then picked back and up and ran fine home. Any ideas? I've cleaned all electrical connections and checked them. I'm so freakin stumped and I need this fixed because I'm kinda stuck without it.
Could it possibly be the fuel pressure regulator? Also I can kinda hint a smell of raw fuel in the exhaust.

:sad:

dugga4life

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did you reset your brain?? when you replace any main sensor you need to earase any false data that your ecm already had....KOER test or just unhook the battery and and tohch the cables together and should be good.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Here goes, I have a 1986 Ranger and I'm having trouble with sputtering and stalling at idle and sometimes throughout rpm range. It has new vehicle speed sensor, fuel pumps, sending unit, o2 sensor, plugs, plug wires, coil, distributor, tfi module, tps, fuel pump relay. I have a fuel pressure gauge on it and it holds 40 lbs going down the road but it bleeds off kinda quick when its just primed. Also it died the other day, i left it in drive and it picked back up in like 100 feet. I watched the tach when this happened and it jumped up to like 300-500 while rolling then picked back and up and ran fine home. Any ideas? I've cleaned all electrical connections and checked them. I'm so freakin stumped and I need this fixed because I'm kinda stuck without it.
Could it possibly be the fuel pressure regulator? Also I can kinda hint a smell of raw fuel in the exhaust.

:sad:

sorry...no suggestions here....(my problems started when I pressure-washed my engine....I solved it by installing a carbed V-8)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Pull off the regulator's vac line and see if there is fuel in it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
KOER test or just unhook the battery and and tohch the cables together and should be good.
A KOER will only tell you if everything is ok right now. It won't reset the memory.

Neither will touching the battery cables together. To properly erase the KAM and reset the values you need to unhook the battery and just let it sit unhooked for at least 15 minutes. I usually do it over night just to be safe (and because I don't usually drive too far after I go to bed).

stevealvey24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No fuel coming out of regulator hose. I'm truley stumped at the moment?

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
Have you checked your timing and valve adjustment?
Also have a good look at your grounding wires.

Romove thet SPOUT, it's a little square pill that can be pulled, usualy white and on the passenger side and I believe it comes out of the injector harness. Just look around in the distributor area, passenger side. If you don't pull it the timing will jump around. Time it about 10-12 BTDC.

Thats what I would do next.
Then I would start looking for a vacume leak.

Last edited:

stevealvey24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just adjusted timing last night to 10degrees when i put in a new distributor thinking the pickup may be going bad. could it use another degree or or two of timing? checked all grounds and wiggled wires while running and cant make anything happen? Adjusted the valves when I first put the motor back in after a rebuild.

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
When you checked the FPR vac line it was dry. Start the truck with it off and see if it leaks out of the FPR connection, sometimes it takes a little bit before they leak. Next I would suggest the MAP sensor? Go buy one and put it in. If it doesn't work, take it out and return it! LOL!

With that I am out of ideas. Sorry dude.

stevealvey24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I really appreciate the advice fellas. Ill try those two things and if nothing. I found a tranny and transfer case at pull a part friday and I'mma put a damn 302 in it!!! Got plenty of em layin around.

stevealvey24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So question? I just took it for a test drive and when i took off down the highway it was definately not producing any power. i put my foot in the throttle a little more and nothing a tad more then it just like picked up and took off any ideas what this is?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
So question? I just took it for a test drive and when i took off down the highway it was definately not producing any power. i put my foot in the throttle a little more and nothing a tad more then it just like picked up and took off any ideas what this is?
When you timed it, did you unplug the spout connector first?

stevealvey24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yea. TImed it to 10 degrees. Then plugged it back in and it changed so its working.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Might be a vacuum leak or the pickup coil.

I had an ignition module produce the same scenario. It would have no power in the higher rpm's sometimes, then other times it pulled very hard. Mine is a lifetime warranty so I swapped modules (even though Autozone told me it was good) and it fixed the problem.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals