• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3" or 6" body lift

offroadking626

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 ford ranger xlt v6 4.0 with torsion crank and 3 in lift blocks in rear with 33's. I'm wanting to lift it. But don't know if I should get a 3 or 6 inch body lift. I found a company that customizes them but not sure.

Any thoughts??

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
6 inch body? I could see suspension but I wouldn't want over 3 inches for body. You would need to extend so many wires for a 6 inch... Go suspension lift

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
anything above 3" of body lift is illegal in most states. plus it would look like complete crap. do 1,2, or 3" body, but no more than that.

offroadking626

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
They only prolem is the Ifs lift cost $1700 plus shippinh

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
6" body lift?

Go 3" max and cut your fenders to clear the biger tires. Put suspension lift on it later. You will have to do way to many modifications for a 6" body lift. Think about what it would do to your steering and shifter geometry. Think about how the body would react if you had an accident, it would roll right off the frame! LOL! Make sure you use quality fasteners or grade 8 bolts or this could happen.....

Kid used to small of washers on the top side of the bolts and they pulled through the body when he hit a ditch.

Last edited:

offroadking626

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think I'll just stick with 3" lol no thanks. Do you think wheel spacers would help as well. If I try to squeeze 35's on with a body lift

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
I think I'll just stick with 3" lol no thanks. Do you think wheel spacers would help as well. If I try to squeeze 35's on with a body lift
Spacers on the wheels or blocks on the springs?

Spacers will just make your tires stick out further and they will for sure rub on the fenders when you turn. Blocks will work on the back springs, but on the front you would need longer coils or spacers under the spring, which opens a whole other can of worms trying to get it back into alignment. I know people here who have done that with coils from other trucks, but only a couple inches of lift without replacing all the hangers for your IFS. Possibly someone will chime in with the specs for that as I don't know.

Look up in the TECH Library on LIFTING on the Cheap, as there is a bunch of options there.

Last edited:

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Ive seen a couple of cabs detach from frames & that why I have always used 1/4" plate cut & drill to work as a top washer for any vehicle I have had body lift kits on.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic

Kid used to small of washers on the top side of the bolts and they pulled through the body when he hit a ditch.
Bet that was a hell of a ride, I wouldn't even see the point in puttiing that big of a body lift on a toyota they can fit pretty good size tires without any lift. I'm with everyone else of course 3" is plonty, make sure you lift the bumpers too.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I did a body lift on my choptop mostly only because when it came time to replace the body mounts, I got a great deal on a body lift - I had the option of a 2" or 3" body lift for the same price as buying all the bolts would have cost, so I bought a 2" kit. I ended up with mixed emotions on it, part of me loves the extra clearance around all things mechanical, but part of me doesn't like body lifts because even a 2" shows a bit more frame and changes a lot of the dynamics of the machine. I don't think I'd ever want anything taller than a 2".

I ran into the issue with my 2000 Ranger back a couple years where I had a desire to lift it, but found that it was expensive to do right. So what did I do? Well, at the time my Ranger was my only vehicle....

So I went looking for a 4x4 playtoy and picked up my 88 Eddie Bauer Bronco II for $340. With another $100 into it, I had a road legal 4x4 that was cheap and easy to work on. Of course, the engine decided to swallow a couple valves a few thousand miles later, but still, it was cheap and fun while it lasted, so I started an engine swap. Then I came across my choptop, engine was blown up (SERIOUSLY cracked head) and I picked it up for $160. Then I picked up a junk BII for $250 that had a 2" suspension lift and locked 4.10 geared axles. Used the junk BII to fix up the choptop for it's first build. Cracked the heads again and swapped in another 2.9 out of a wrecked BII that I stripped for parts for $100. Sold and traded parts as I needed to and now I have a total of about $1,650 sunk into my choptop, including what I paid for it and the nearly new 35" tires sitting in my shed waiting to go on. As I had money, I scrounged parts and the truck grew, it's been a really fun toy and a great learning experience.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
WOW body flip

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals